Areas of Funding
Alice Smith School
Alice Smith School

Areas of Funding

The primary aim of our Foundation is to raise awareness and financial support from the community for enhancements in five areas.     

• Scholarships and Bursaries: The Alice Smith School Foundation Tertiary Study Grant is awarded to Year 13 Alice Smith School Malaysian scholars, helping to provide support to the grant recipients throughout their undergraduate studies in leading prestigious universities.
  • Community: Supporting service for learning and the charitable work of the school and local and regional community based projects, benefiting others through a sense of responsibility for the wider  community.
  • Endowment: The Making a Difference endowment, enabling our school to maintain excellence in learning and teaching, curriculum innovation, support of our community and further ensure our status as a regional and world leader in education.
  • Special Educational Projects: Enhancing high academic standards, extensive wider learning activities and the development of essential life skills through the range, depth, richness and diversity of learning experiences available to students. 
  • Buildings and Facilities: Supporting the physical development of the school campuses, ensuring future generations continue to benefit from an excellent learning environment with world leading facilities.

Making a gift or pledge to our Foundation will create opportunities, changing lives and support the community. 

• The fostering of a culture of philanthropy within the Alice Smith School community for the benefit of current and future students and the wider local community
  • The advancement of personal and cultural values to promote confident, well rounded students who relish the responsibility of being lifelong contributors to society
  • The long term future and sustainability of the school
  • An elevated educational experience that results in enhanced learning opportunities and deeper engagement in learning
  • The development of Alice Smith School’s local and international reputation as a leader of excellence in learning, teaching and educational practice
  • The enhancement of the quality of learning and broader educational experience through the provision of school facilities of the highest standard.

The Foundation exercises caution at all times to ensure all fundraising costs are well managed. Only costs for direct fundraising initiatives are charged to the Foundation. 

For more information about Giving, take a look below at our frequently asked questions (FAQs).

WHO IS ENCOURAGED TO GIVE?

Anyone and everyone! Making a gift does not discriminate, and so are our philanthropic and sustainability projects. Our aim with you is to build a sustainable future together by nurturing, inspiring and enriching lives through education. Read more here on the projects that we are currently leading, and how you can be a part of our transformational work.

IF I AM ALREADY A PART OF THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY (STAFF, PARENT, STUDENT), IS IT COMPULSORY THAT I DONATE?

No. While our goal is 100% participation by the school community, the school wishes to stress that donations are voluntary. Donations should be freely given with no expectations of personal gain other than due thanks and recognition. Hear what our current donors say about their experience donating to the Foundation, read more here.  

WHY DOES THE ALICE SMITH SCHOOL INVITE DONATIONS, IN ADDITION TO SCHOOL FEES?

The Alice Smith School is a not-for-profit organisation. Additional income sources such as donations from the PTA and the Foundation, allow the school to offer students special enhancements to their educational experience without affecting school fees. The donations also enable Alice Smith to expand the reach and scope of its charitable and philanthropic work and will help to secure the long term future of the school.

Be inspired by our stories and current projects here.

DO OTHER INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS IN MALAYSIA AND THE REGION RAISE MONEY IN THIS WAY?

Yes, many other not-for-profit schools have ‘giving’ programmes. Long established and highly reputable British and American international schools have annual fundraising programmes, having identified the need to supplement operating budgets to enhance student programmes. Fundraising through ‘giving’ is common practice in the British school system. Annual funds are recognised as the cornerstone of fund-raising for many independent academic institutions and have a proven record of positive impact. 

IS THERE A MINIMUM AMOUNT I MUST DONATE?

No, all donations are gratefully accepted. The ultimate goal is 100% participation by the community and every contribution is valued and appreciated.

IF I CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE, ARE THERE OTHER WAYS I CAN HELP?

Of course! Your can choose to gift your time. Volunteerism plays an imperative role in giving. We are fortunate that our school community, from parents to staff, alumni and students have been supportive to our various fundraising initiatives. You can choose from these volunteering opportunities to support the Foundation:

To volunteer for our Foundation's Alice Smith Supporters Programme today, click here.

WILL MY DONATION AND VOLUNTEERING MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Absolutely! Every gift has an impact in making a positive difference to our students, families, teachers and community. Maximising participation is a testament to our donors’ belief in what we are doing. It is also a statement to others that the Alice Smith School comprises a community actively involved in the advancement of its transformational philanthropic endeavours for the community and driving towards the long-term sustainability of the school. 

For example;

• Contributions towards our Scholarships and Bursaries funds has enabled us to award the first ever recipient of the Tertiary Study Grant Award in 2020. Funding from this grant will help the scholar's tuition fees to their university of choice. 
    • Our Build Kindness campaign with Kechara Soup Kitchen Society where our volunteers are going to help distribute food provisions and be involved in the community Enhancement Programme.
    • The Foundation Charity Dinner where students, parents and teachers volunteer to raise funds in support of the service learning initiatives and charitable projects carried out by our secondary students.

Read more here about the amazing work we have able to carry out through the support of donors and supporter like you. 

WHO WILL KNOW HOW MUCH I HAVE DONATED?

Donation value recognition is optional. In our donation forms, you will be asked if you wish for your contribution to be acknowledged. If you wish to be included and recognised in our list of donors, it may appear in selected print, publication or online.

In addition, donations will be recognised in the annual ‘Thank You’ Report of Giving. Donors have the option not to have their donation value categorised or not to have their name included at all in the reporting of giving to the Foundation. Your name or image may also appear in the Foundation's social media channel, with your permission.

HOW WILL THE FOUNDATION BE CONTACTING ME?

Contact Us

The Advancement Office aims to build long-lasting relationships between the Foundation and the community through a programme of events, volunteer work, news and regular updates.

With the support of the community, be that with time or financial giving, we help ensure that the Alice Smith School Foundation acts as a vital link between the school and its stakeholders, reinforcing the belief of the school that it brings out the best in all people and creates an enduring sense of belonging to something very special.

With your support, the Alice Smith School will continue to provide an outstanding education  with increased opportunities and experiences for years to come. The Foundation will work very closely with you to ensure that your philanthropic wishes are met and keep you fully informed about the projects you have chosen to support.