|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
How to Apply

Choosing the right school for your child is an important decision.

Here at the Alice Smith School, we appreciate that this can be a daunting prospect and we aim to provide you with all of the information necessary to enable you to make the right choice for your child. Of course, the best way to appreciate our school is to come and pay us a visit and join one of our school tours.

Information for Parents

The Alice Smith School provides an English curriculum in an international setting, for mainly expatriate students aged 3 to 18. Students wishing to enter the school must be proficient speakers of English and display appropriate attitude and ability to fully participate in and benefit from the school’s broad and enriching curriculum and high achieving environment. The Alice Smith School has two campuses, Primary (ages 3 to 11) and Secondary (ages 11 to 18). The school does not provide boarding facilities, so students must be living in Malaysia with their families. Waiting lists exist for most year groups, so parents are encouraged to apply early for a place at the school.

If, at any point during the application process, you have specific questions please email the Admissions Team, or contact them on one of the numbers at the bottom of the page. If you have a question for a member of the academic staff, the Admissions team would be happy to arrange an appointment with a member of the Senior Leadership Team either in person or by phone.

We look forward to meeting you soon!

There are three stages to our admissions process - Application, Assessment and Admission, and further information can be found below:

1. Application

To apply for your child to be enrolled into the Alice Smith School, you are required to submit the following documents:

1. A completed application form (kindly note that this is a fillable PDF form)
  2. One (1) recent passport size photograph of the student and of each parent/guardian
  3. A copy of the student’s birth certificate
  4. A copy of the most recent full school report and any other reports from the past 12 months
  5. A copy of the father’s, mother’s and student’s passports (personal details page only) or a copy of the father’s, mother’s and student’s NRIC (for Malaysian applicants only)
  6. An Application Fee of RM1,200 per child (non-refundable), payable either in cash or bank draft/cheque made payable to The Alice Smith Schools Association

Kindly send your completed Application Form together with all of the above documents and Application Fee to the respective campus:

Admissions Department

Primary Campus

The Alice Smith Schools Association

No. 2 Jalan Bellamy, 50460 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

or

Admissions Department

Secondary Campus

The Alice Smith Schools Association

No.3 Jalan Equine, Taman Equine,

43300 Seri Kembangan, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia

For overseas applications, you may pay the Application Fee of RM1,200 via telegraphic transfer.

The bank details are as follows:

Payable to: The Alice Smith Schools Association

Bank: HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad

Bank Address:  2 Leboh Ampang 50100 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Account No: 301-375325-001

Swift Code: HBMBMYKL

* Overseas telegraphic transfers are not possible in Malaysian Ringgit (MYR). Transactions in GBP/USD or other currencies must be equivalent to the amount charged in MYR.

PAYMENTS must include all the various bank and/or beneficiary charges. Otherwise we will charge for any shortfall in the amounts owing. When making payment into our account, please email us a copy of the transaction report (Primary Campus: admissions.jb@alice-smith.edu.my or Secondary Campus: admissions.ep@alice-smith.edu.my). This is to enable us in keeping track of all the payments made. 

Please note that we are unable to process any applications until all required documents have been received. Submission of an Application Form does not guarantee a place as year groups get filled up very quickly. We therefore advise submission of completed application documents as early as possible.

Once all required documentation and fees are received, the application will be processed and then proceed for assessment prior to a place being offered or position on the wait list being allocated.

2. Assessment

The level of attainment at the Alice Smith School is high and we can only offer places to students who are able to adequately access the curriculum and whose needs we feel we can effectively meet. Assessments are used to determine whether the Alice Smith School is suitable for your child, so we can be sure that he/she will cope and settle happily with us.

The Alice Smith School will also contact your child's current school directly for an academic and personal reference.

The results of the assessment and the reference from the current school will be reviewed by a member of the Senior Leadership Team at the relevant campus and you will be informed of the outcome within one week of completion of the assessment and receipt of the reference.

Assessments are valid for twelve months from date of completion. Follow up assessments may be required if a place is not taken up within that time.

The outcome of the assessment will be one of the following:

1.       Successful application

• If a place is available, an Offer Letter will be sent out.
  • If the year group is full, your child will be placed on the wait list and an Offer Letter will be sent when a place becomes available. Occasionally, places may be offered with certain conditions which will be discussed and put in writing.

2.       Further visit and/or assessment required

• Before a place can be offered, further assessments are necessary for us to be sure that we can cater for your child’s needs. A date will be set for these at the earliest convenience.

3.       Unsuccessful application

• A place is not offered and you will be informed of the reasons.

The assessment procedures vary, depending on the age of the student, as follows:

Foundation Stage - ages 3 to 5: Your child will be assessed by observing interaction and language use in an informal situation in one of our classrooms. Assessments for September 2014 intake are carried out between January and March.

Year 1 - age 5 to 6: Your child will attend an informal interview and be assessed on basic skills at the Alice Smith School.

Years 2 to 6 - ages 7 to 11: Your child will sit for online English, Mathematics and Non-Verbal Reasoning Tests. These can be conducted at the Alice Smith School or for overseas applicants, can be administered at your child's current school. Your child's current school will be required to provide a piece of unaided writing.

Years 7 to 11 - ages 11 to 16: Your child will sit for online English (reading), Mathematics and Non-Verbal Reasoning Tests as well as sitting a short English writing test. This assessment may be taken at the Alice Smith School or at your child's current school. Applicants who do not have English as their first language will also have a short interview with the EAL Coordinator or person assigned to assess whether their level of English is adequate to access the school curriculum or to access the limited support programme.

Years 12 and 13: Sixth Form Applicants to Year 12 or 13 will receive an offer conditional on their results in Year 11 GCSE or Year 12 AS exams. Year 12 or 13 applications are welcomed from students currently following non British curricula (e.g. IB, Malaysian etc) and will be dealt with on an individual basis.

Students holding a conditional offer for entrance into Year 12 or Year 13 should request for an urgent appointment with the Head of Sixth Form if they do not meet the conditions of the offer. A final decision will only be made once this meeting has taken place, but it would be unusual to change the conditions of the offer at this stage. Students who have not met their conditional offers may not start until they have met with the Head of Sixth Form and received written confirmation that they have been accepted to the school.

Students who have met their conditional offers need take no further action.

3. Admission

A formal Offer Letter, stating the fees payable and the terms and conditions of the offer will be made in writing for your child immediately should a place be available or when a place becomes available, should there be a waiting list for your child’s year group. Our waiting list is made up of three categories as explained in the Admissions Policy (60 KB)

A conditional offer may be made in exceptional circumstances. The conditions attached to the offer and the time frame associated with this will be made clear on the offer letter.

Admission is subject to the following:

• Satisfactory performance in the assessments, including the current schools reference.
  • Payment of the non-refundable enrollment fee and the non-refundable Building Fund contribution.
  • A parent becoming a member of The Alice Smith Schools Association (current fee RM20).
  • Your acceptance of the offer and payment of indicated fees must be made prior to your child starting school and before the lapse date as shown on the Offer Letter.

Before your start date, you will receive a letter welcoming you to the school, which will include details of the first day arrangements, buying school uniform, arranging bus transportation (if required) and after-school activities.

We look forward to meeting and welcoming you to the Alice Smith community.

Learning Support and EAL

If your child has any previously identified special educational needs, we would request that you discuss this with the school before your child takes the assessment tests as we will need to ensure that we can effectively meet their needs with the support and provision we have available. Each student is considered case by case.

Whilst we have Learning Support teachers who offer additional assistance in specific areas of the curriculum or learning, we cannot cater for students who require significant support to access our curriculum. The Alice Smith School offers a limited programme to teach students for whom English is an additional language. Entrance onto this language programme will also be considered on a case by case basis.