|
|
PromoImg
Sports
Find Out More
PromoImg
Torpedoes
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Physical Education
At The Alice Smith School we believe in ‘sport for all.’

We recognise the importance of Physical Education (PE) and the impact a child gains from the experiences of their primary school years and the subsequent effect on their involvement and commitment to leading a happy, healthy life.

All of our PE staff nurture, inspire and guide the children’s physical experiences so that pupils develop a positive outlook towards not just sport but active living. At the heart of our philosophy is the student’s engagement and enjoyment in their lessons, through this positive foundation we believe that our students experience the best environment to flourish in their physical learning. The children’s ability to develop and master the fundamental movements that a human body needs to live a healthy, active life is introduced, refined and mastered and links are made with other areas of the curriculum, thus building a foundation for future sporting, learning and life experiences.  We aim to set appropriate challenges for each individual child through games, structured activities and appropriate sports to develop their key skills in an inclusive, engaging and enjoyable environment that aims to inspire and stimulate the philosophies of self improvement, fair play and teamwork. PE lessons draw on the Alice Smith School Learner Attributes thus developing communication skills, independence, resilience, respect for others and knowledge of the body.

All primary year groups are taught PE by one of our four UK-qualified specialist PE teachers and swimming by our team of professionally qualified swimming teachers.  Our students benefit from the wide range of sports facilities and resources at the Primary Campus, including a 25m swimming pool, a multi-level gymnasium, basketball and netball courts and an astro-turfed football pitch.

In addition to PE lessons, we run an extensive year-round programme of competitive sport, a well established swim squad known as the Torpedoes and recreational sports clubs, the latter of which is part of the school’s overall Extra-Curricular Activities programme (ECAs).