|
|
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Learning Support

At the Alice Smith School we aim to provide a learning environment that is caring, challenging and stimulating, thus enabling students to feel confident and valued, understanding that their contributions are recognised regardless of ability, gender or culture. We aim to support each individual student’s learning to enable them to reach their maximum potential academically, physically, emotionally and socially.

We believe that our teachers are facilitators of learning for all children be they students with special educational needs, more able qualities, newer to English or any other learning difference. As such, differentiation is present throughout the curriculum at all times. The level of differentiation and additional provision that we put in place to support each student matches the nature of his/her needs.

Class teachers are accountable for all student progress and meet with line managers termly to discuss the progress of each learner within their class (or subject for specialist teachers). Part of this discussion focuses on MAGnT (More Able Gifted and Talented) provision, SEN (Special Educational Needs) and EAL (English As An Additional Language) learners. During these discussions, teachers identify strengths and areas for development, monitor progress rate and set challenging targets for next steps. These are reviewed each term. 

Admissions

All children are welcomed to apply for admission to the Alice Smith School.  We look at each case individually and aim to admit all students who have the potential to flourish in our school environment. We are open-minded and creative and will look for possible solutions to remove any barriers students may have at admission stages. 

Learning Support 

The Learning Support (LS) is the term we use to describe the provision that we provide for three main cohorts of students - students with special educational needs, students with more able gifted and talented differences and students with English as an additional language .

a. Special Educational Needs (SEN) Provision 

As a British School, the Alice Smith School is guided by the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice to adopt a graduated response to student’s needs that encompasses an array of strategies. This approach recognises that there is a continuum of special educational needs and, where necessary, provides increasing specialist expertise to support a student where this is considered beneficial to them as learners.

Our Learning Support department work closely with student, teacher and parents to design individual education plans (IEPs), offer advice and lead 1:1 lessons or group withdrawal where appropriate.

In addition to this, we employ a full-time early intervention teaching assistant for our Foundation Stage 2 classes. We also employ a qualified speech and language pathologist to screen all Foundation Stage 2 students each year to identify any students who would benefit from Learning support intervention.

We are currently in the process of setting up more specialist provision known as our ‘SEN Professional Support Services’. This service provides students with the opportunity to access external professional services during the school day, through our peripatetic programme supervised and recommended by our staff if parents would like to choose this option. Class teachers will discuss this option with you if they feel it would benefit your child.

We are hoping to enable parents to access the following professional services in the very near future:

• Speech and language therapy
  • Dyslexia support
  • Sensory integration therapy
  • Educational psychologist
  • Behavioural Support