|
|
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Modern Foreign Languages

Equipping our children with the ability to communicate in an increasingly global community and contributing to their intellectual and emotional growth.

Whilst the development of their native language is crucial academically and for maintaining identity and empathy, our language programmes aim to stimulate a student’s interests in the language and culture of other countries. This aims to provide an insight into different cultural backgrounds, to develop language-learning skills, improve the ability to understand and communicate and to create a sound basis for the further study of Modern Foreign Languages.

Up until the end of Reception (for children aged 3 to 5), students will learn about Malaysian Culture and Language, which helps to develop their interest and respect for our host country.  Following which, as they enter Year 1, they can select one language from Bahasa Malaysia*, French or Mandarin that they will carry on learning until the end of Year 6. In addition at the start of Year 5, students are offered a choice to study a second language which they will also study until the end of Year 6.  

The MFL team comprises of 6 fully qualified teachers in their respective languages.

*Please note that Malaysian passport holders must study Bahasa Malaysia in line with requirements of the Malaysian Ministry of Education.

Bahasa Malaysia

Malaysian Culture and Language is a weekly session for all students in Pre-School and Reception.  It is a highly interactive and practical lesson which focuses on speaking, listening and learning basic vocabulary, predominantly through song, drama and role playing. Students also gain an interesting insight into Malaysia’s history and culture. The students are taught by our fully qualified Bahasa Malaysia teachers. 

From Years 1 to 6, students who select Bahasa Malaysia continue to learn the language where the prime focus is on speaking and listening, which builds their confidence through engaging and interactive lessons. There is an additional element of reading and writing. We offer differentiated teaching to accommodate the wide range of abilities from beginner to fluent speaker. Our fully qualified teachers find inspiration from the  Languages Programme of Study for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 (National Curriculum in England). These teachers work hand-in-hand with class teachers to adapt and deliver our rich and varied KLASS curriculum linked to classroom learning, making Bahasa meaningful for all children. 

We are fortunate to have strong links to the local school next door, Sekolah Rendah Kebangsaan Jalan Bellamy, and we always look forward to welcoming them to our annual cultural celebration and assembly which involves dance, song and food from both Malaysia and France.

Our Extra-Curricular activities programme provides many more opportunities for students studying Bahasa. For example there is Bahasa Challenge, a club for more able Bahasa students who want to extend their learning of Bahasa further, Malaysian Culture Clubs, one focusing on dance and the other on arts and crafts.

French

The European language we offer at the Primary Campus is French. With 128 million people speaking it fluently worldwide, it is still a very dominant global language, and is the most commonly taught second language in the world after English. French also remains the most popular modern foreign language taught in UK independent schools.

Our fully qualified teachers find inspiration from the Languages Programme of study for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 (National Curriculum in England). These teachers work hand-in-hand with class teachers to adapt and deliver our rich and varied KLASS curriculum linked to classroom learning, making French meaningful for all children. They provide differentiated teaching to accommodate a wide range of students abilities to ensure lessons remain challenging and engaging for all.

Whilst Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4 French classes focus more on Speaking and Listening skills, our Year 5 and Year 6 programme further develops students Reading and Writing skills.

Our French teachers strongly believe in the benefits of integrating information technology into the MFL classroom and strive to provide engaging and innovative learning opportunities for their students. Our French library, as well as traditional French games and celebrations, allow the children to gain an insight into a captivating French culture, which we believe is a major and inseparable component of learning a language. Many students also opt to join French Culture Club, which is just one of the language-related after school activities which we run at the Alice Smith School.

As part of our extensive Extra-Curricular Activities programme we also offer additional French classes for Malaysian students who are unable to study French until Year 5 and recently introduced exciting new clubs such as French podcasting and French Drama.

Mandarin

We recognise the increasingly significant role China is playing in the global community and as a result have recently introduced Mandarin to our language programme. In line with our mission to prepare our students for a successful international future, speaking Mandarin and an understanding of Chinese culture will be increasingly beneficial in the global marketplace.

Our fully-qualified Mandarin teachers provide engaging and stimulating language lessons, concentrating in particular on the development of the skills of speaking and listening but ensuring that students also gain a broad understanding into the fascinating Chinese culture. Children  are also introduced to the intricate skills of reading and writing of Chinese characters.

Our fully qualified teachers find inspiration from the Languages Programme of study for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 (National Curriculum in England). These teachers work hand-in-hand with class teachers to adapt and deliver our rich and varied KLASS curriculum linked to classroom learning, making Mandarin meaningful for all children.

As with all lessons in our MFL programme, we are able to differentiate our teaching and lesson content to cater for a broad range  of abilities, from complete beginners to native speakers. Mandarin clubs are also offered as part of our Extra-Curricular Activities programme for a range of year groups.