|
|
Bursaries & Scholarships

The Alice Smith School is the oldest international school in Malaysia with a rich British heritage and a reputation for educational excellence. Our Sixth Form is well established with a proven track record of academic success and our graduating students secure places at excellent universities worldwide, the UK being the most popular destination.

We currently have Alice Smith students attending universities in 16 countries worldwide, including USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Holland, Malaysia and Canada, and 18 of our students have been attending Oxford or Cambridge in the last 5 years. In 2017, 72% who applied to the UK secured places at Russell Group universities (research-intensive, world-class universities) and students also gained places at prestigious international universities, such as Hong Kong University, UBC and McGill in Canada, Boston University and University of Washington, Seattle.

We believe that through generosity of time and care and attention to every individual, we find a way to bring out the best in all people and create an enduring sense of belonging to something very special. We invite you to join our community and reach for the stars through our scholarship programme.

We have three types of scholarships available:

1. KLASS Scholarships

2(i). Reach for the Stars Scholarships (50% reduction in fees)

2(ii). Reach for the Star Scholarships (25% reduction in fees)

Please click on the respective links below for further information.

KLASS Scholarship

The KLASS scholarship is a full scholarship with the underlying aim to benefit high achieving  post-SPM Malaysian students with limited financial means. Scholars will be expected to push themselves in all aspects of learning,  attain high levels of excellence in both academic and non-academic fields and become a fully integrated member of our school community.

Applicants will be very strong academically, aiming for an international level of education at a good university, and fulfill all the criteria for entry onto A Levels in our Sixth Form. Together with academic merit, scholarships are awarded on financial need, as such the family of the applicant will be required to disclose income through tax returns.

Given the completion of SPMs in the November, it is understood that recipients of the KLASS scholarship will start in January. For this reason, the maximum length of the scholarship is 2½ years. It is anticipated, however, that scholars will complete their A Levels in five school terms, hence the scholarships will run from January 2018 to July 2019, with an extension of time into the 2019-2020 academic year only if required. From January until July 2018 of the first year, the scholars will join the second term of Year 12 where they will study four AS level subjects of their choice. They will then progress to Year 13 and take their final A Level examinations (usually three subjects) in their second year.

How to Apply for Entry

Applications for the Alice Smith Scholarships are available online.

The application must be submitted by no later than Friday 27th October to the following address:

Ms Agnes Chang 
Admissions Manager
The Alice Smith School
No. 3 Jalan Equine
Equine Park, 43300 Seri Kembangan
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Email: admissions.ep@alice-smith.edu.my

Application Checklist

These are the documents required to apply for an Alice Smith Scholarship:

1. Completed application form.

2. A 250-word personal statement (see notes below).

3. A copy of your SPM forecast results and recent school report.

4. A letter of recommendation from your current Principal (or teacher).

5. A letter of recommendation from an adult outside the school environment who knows you through your extra-curricular activities, either sports, music, arts, or community service.

6. A copy of your parents’ most recent Income Tax Return form and a copy of the e-filing document. This is confidential and is only used to determine financial need. 

Notes

1. You must be able to meet the criteria for entry into our Sixth Form. Please click here for more information.

2. The Alice Smith School is a day school, located in Equine Park, Seri Kembangan, some 20 minutes south of Kuala Lumpur. You must be able to stay near enough to the school or to the school bus routes.

3. The KLASS Scholarship is a full scholarship. Tuition fees, building levy and enrolment fee will be included. Tuition fees include all textbooks and materials, external examination fees, and curriculum-based trips. Transportation to and from school, lunch, and optional school trips are not included. Additional payment will be required for extracurricular activities not covered in the normal range offered by school, or for surplus on trips.

4. Your 250-word personal statement is your opportunity to tell the Alice Smith School why you should become an Alice Smith Scholar. You need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to the A Level programme, and the extracurricular activities offered at Alice Smith. You also need to demonstrate your ability to fit into an international environment and to aim high in your future goals. You also need to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded student, with both academic and other interests. You may wish to include photographs or videos with your written statement.

Reach for the Stars Scholarship

Reach for the Stars scholarships are partial scholarships and can be awarded at both 25% and 50%. 

They are awarded to students applying for: 

• 18-month A Level Programme (January 2018 intake - likely to be currently SPM students)
  • 2-year A Level Programme (August 2018 intake - likely to be currently (I)GCSE students)

Reach for the Stars scholarships (50%) are awarded on academic merit and financial need. Interested scholars will need to show strong academic performance and the need for financial assistance. Current Alice Smith students in Year 11 are eligible to apply. 

Reach for the Stars scholarships (25%) are awarded on academic merit. 

All scholarship applicants must be prepared to sit for a non-verbal reasoning test in the event that they are shortlisted and they will also be interviewed. 

Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have, so please do not hesitate to get in touch with Ms Agnes Chang (Admissions Manager), on +603 95433688, ext. 108. 

How to Apply for Entry

Ms Agnes Chang 
Admissions Manager
The Alice Smith School
No. 3 Jalan Equine
Equine Park, 43300 Seri Kembangan
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Email: admissions.ep@alice-smith.edu.my

Application Checklist

1. Completed application form: 

3. A copy of your SPM/(I)GCSE forecast results and recent school report.

6. If you are applying for the Reach for the Stars 50% scholarship, a copy of your parents’ most recent Income Tax Return form and a copy of the e-filing document. This is confidential and is only used to determine financial need. 

Notes

1. You must be able to meet the criteria for entry into our Sixth Form. Please click here for more information.

3. The Reach for the Stars Scholarships are partial scholarships and include: all books, materials, resources and the annual educational week. External examination fees, curriculum-based trips, transportation to and from school, lunch, and optional school trips are not included. Additional payment will be required for extracurricular activities not covered in the normal range offered by school, or for surplus on trips. 

Bursary Scheme

The bursary scheme is for Year 11 students already studying at The Alice Smith School who will continue into the Sixth Form. Each year the bursary scheme offers a discount in tuition fees for existing Alice Smith students who display academic excellence and will be starting their A Level courses in September.

No financial circumstances are taken into consideration in awarding the bursaries. The bursaries are awarded on academic merit only. Awards of this nature are highly regarded by universities and colleges, in recognition of the recipients’ excellent academic achievement. The bursary nominations and final offers are made on a faculty basis, with each faculty developing specific criteria for the nomination process to support the general criteria agreed by the Council of Governors and the Academic Board (Vice Principal, Curriculum and Heads of Faculties). In meeting the general criteria for a bursary, the minimum requirement for any student nominated by a faculty is that the student has:

• demonstrated outstanding ability in the subject area (with outstanding or excellent achievement across all subjects being studied);
  • displayed the characteristics expected of an Alice Smith School student, not only in terms of their studies, but also in their all round contribution to the school and the wider community;
  • been, at all times, a worthy ambassador of the school.

The student will also study a subject in the given faculty for at least 1 full year in the Sixth Form.

In addition to these Faculty Bursaries, further  discretionary bursaries may be awarded each year based on excellent academic achievement across a range of subjects and talent bursaries for students in Sports and the Arts.