|
|
HdImage
Bursaries & Scholarships

The Alice Smith School offers both scholar and bursary schemes for students to study in the Sixth Form, an excellent opportunity to be part of a  truly diverse, dynamic and caring educational community. Join us and learn in an enriched and challenging environment with highly qualified, experienced, dedicated and passionate teachers. As one of the most prestigious and respected British international schools in Asia, the school has an established reputation for excellence.

Established in Kuala Lumpur since 1946, the school is one of the first in Malaysia and in South-East Asia to be accredited, with an excellent grading, as a British School Overseas by the Department for Education in London.The Alice Smith School offers the AQA Baccalaureate in addition to A Levels, an added advantage when students seek placements for university. The AQA Baccalaureate is an academic qualification which builds on a student’s core A Level subjects, adding value through wider learning and enrichment activities. Students complete an extended project in addition to 100 hours of enrichment activities in work related learning, community participation and personal development activities. The challenge, rigour and quality of Sixth Form study prepares scholars to gain entry to the very best universities worldwide.  

As a not-for-profit educational foundation, all of the school’s resources are focused on the well-being, progress and success of its students.

Kindly click on the various links below for further information on the scholarships. The school is currently offering the Reach for the Stars Scholarships. All applications must be submitted by no later than Wednesday, 14th June 2017.

For enquiries, please email nazira.ep@alice-smith.edu.my

Reach for the Stars Scholarship

The Alice Smith School is pleased to offer a limited number of academic “Reach for the Stars” scholarships to study for A levels in the Sixth Form at the Secondary Campus in Seri Kembangan, Equine Park.

Open to all SPM and (I)GCSE students, the scholarship benefits include up to 50% reduction in tuition fees in addition to the waiver of enrolment fee and building fund contribution worth RM25,000.

The underlying aim of these partial scholarship is to make Sixth Form study at the school more accessible to students who have the desire, drive and ambition to study in a truly diverse, dynamic and caring community, learning with exceptional teachers and with students from over 45 different nations.

As for KLASS scholarship recipients, selected Reach for the Stars scholars are expected to be positive role models for the school community, achieving high levels of excellence in both academic and non-academic fields.

Scholarship Application Criteria

Applications for Reach for the Stars scholarships are accepted in January and February each year, with scholarship offers being made through March and April for the start of the next academic year.

Scholarships offered will be based on merit, with the following criteria:

• Demonstrated outstanding academic ability.
  • Demonstrated outstanding talent in the performing Arts or in Sport.
  • Characteristics expected of an Alice Smith School student, not only in terms of their studies, but also in their all round contribution to their school and the wider community.
  • Potential to be a worthy ambassador for the Alice Smith School.
  • English language ability.

Duration of the Scholarship

The maximum length of each scholarship will be two years (the duration for A level studies in the Sixth Form).

How to Apply for Entry

Applications for the Reach for the Stars Scholarships is now open. All applications must be submitted by no later than Wednesday, 14th June 2017. For enquiries, please contact:

Ms Nazira Aziz 
Education Secretary
The Alice Smith School
No. 3 Jalan Equine
Equine Park, 43300 Seri Kembangan
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Email: nazira.ep@alice-smith.edu.my

Application Checklist

These are the documents required to apply for the Reach for the Stars Scholarship:

1. Completed application form (hand written).

2. A typed personal statement of no more than 400 words. 

3. A copy of your SPM or I/GCSE forecast results and recent school report.

4. A letter of recommendation from your current Principal (or teacher).

5. A letter of recommendation from an adult outside the school environment who knows you through your extra-curricular activities, either sports, music, arts, or community service.

Notes

1. Please visit our school website and read through the documentation on the Sixth Form. You must be able to meet the criteria for entry into the Sixth Form.

2. The Alice Smith School Secondary Campus is a day school, located in Equine Park, Seri Kembangan. The campus is easily accessible from the city centre via the MEX (Kuala Lumpur - Putrajaya) Highway. 

3. The Reach for the Stars Scholarship is a partial scholarship. 

4. Your 400 word personal statement is your opportunity to tell the Alice Smith School why you should become an Alice Smith Scholar.  

5. You need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to a British A-level course and the extracurricular activities offered at Alice Smith. You also need to demonstrate your ability to fit into an international environment and to aim high in your future goals. You also need to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded student, with both academic and other interests. You can include photographs or other electronic media with your personal statement.

Bursary Scheme

The bursary scheme is for Year 11 students already studying at The Alice Smith School who will continue into the Sixth Form. It is part of a long-term policy to grow the Sixth Form at the Alice Smith School by building on academic excellence and recognising very high academic standards in the Sixth Form. Each year the bursary scheme will offer a discount in tuition fees for existing Alice Smith students who display academic excellence and will be starting their A Level courses in September.

Unlike the scholar scheme, no financial circumstances are taken into consideration in awarding the bursaries. The bursaries are awarded on academic merit only. Awards of this nature are highly regarded by universities and colleges, in recognition of the recipients’ excellent academic achievement. The bursary nominations and final offers are made on a faculty basis, with each faculty developing specific criteria for the nomination process to support the general criteria agreed by the Council of Governors and the Academic Board (Vice Principal, Curriculum and Heads of Faculties). In meeting the general criteria for a bursary, the minimum requirement for any student nominated by a faculty is that the student has:

• demonstrated outstanding ability in the subject area (with outstanding or excellent achievement across all subjects being studied);

• displayed the characteristics expected of an Alice Smith School student, not only in terms of their studies, but also in their all round contribution to the school and the wider community;

• been, at all times, a worthy ambassador of the school.

The student will also study a subject in the given faculty for at least 1 full year in the Sixth Form.

In addition to these Faculty Bursaries, a further five academic bursaries may be awarded each year based on excellent academic achievement across a range of subjects. 

KLASS Scholarship

The Alice Smith Schools Association is a not-for-profit educational foundation, established in Kuala Lumpur in 1946. Having flourished in Malaysia and educated many thousands of children, we would like to extend our social responsibility by offering scholarships to Malaysian students. The underlying aim of the Alice Smith School Scholarship Scheme is to benefit bright post-SPM Malaysian students with limited financial means by providing them with up to two and a half years of Sixth Form fees. In return, the selected scholars will be expected to push themselves in all aspects of learning,  attain high levels of excellence in both academic and non-academic fields and become a fully integrated member of our school community.

Applicants will be very strong academically, aiming for an international level of education at a good university, and fulfill all the criteria for entry onto A Levels in our Sixth Form. As the scholarships are aimed at low-to-middle income families, the family of the applicant will be required to disclose income through tax returns.

Duration of the Scholarship

The maximum length of each Alice Smith Scholarship is 2½ years. It is anticipated, however, that scholars will complete their A Levels in five school terms, hence the scholarships will run from January 2017 to July 2018, with an extension of time into the 2018-2019 academic year if required. From January until July 2017 of the first year, the scholars will join the second term of Year 12 where they will study four AS level subjects of their choice. They will then progress to Year 13 and take their final A Level examinations (usually three subjects) in their second year.

Applicants must be prepared to sit for a non-verbal reasoning test at the Alice Smith School in the event that they are shortlisted. These candidate(s) will also be interviewed and successful scholars announced in November each year.

How to Apply for Entry

Applications for the Alice Smith Scholarships have been awarded for 2017 intake. Applications for 2018 will open in October 2017. For enquiries, please contact:

Ms Nazira Aziz 
Education Secretary
The Alice Smith School
No. 3 Jalan Equine
Equine Park, 43300 Seri Kembangan
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Email: nazira.ep@alice-smith.edu.my

Application Checklist

These are the documents required to apply for an Alice Smith Scholarship:

1. Completed application form.

2. A 250-word personal statement (see notes below).

3. A copy of your SPM forecast results and recent school report.

6. A copy of your parents’ most recent Income Tax Return form and a copy of the e-filing document. This is confidential and is only used to determine financial need. 

Notes

1. You must be able to meet the criteria for entry into our Sixth Form. Please click here for more information.

2. The Alice Smith School is a day school, located in Equine Park, Seri Kembangan, some 20 minutes south of Kuala Lumpur. You must be able to stay near enough to the school or to the school bus routes.

3. The Alice Smith Scholarship is a full scholarship. Tuition fees, building levy and enrolment fee will be included. Tuition fees include all textbooks and materials, external examination fees, and curriculum-based trips. Transportation to and from school, lunch, and optional school trips are not included. Additional payment will be required for extracurricular activities not covered in the normal range offered by school, or for surplus on trips.

4. Your 250-word personal statement is your opportunity to tell the Alice Smith School why you should become an Alice Smith Scholar. You need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to the A Level programme, AQA Baccalaureate and the extracurricular activities offered at Alice Smith. You also need to demonstrate your ability to fit into an international environment and to aim high in your future goals. You also need to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded student, with both academic and other interests. You may wish to include photographs or videos with your written statement.