Many of you will have been using the ‘peep holes’ to track the progress of our new building at the Primary Campus.
The new roof top garden on top of the One Stop Centre will be a bookable resource where classes will be able to sit at the height of the tree canopy, listen to the wind in the trees, read, write poetry, have quiet reflection time outside in a shaded and safe area far from the hustle and bustle of the classrooms and playground.
In addition to the roof top garden, we will be developing the outdoor area around the new building to include two purpose built adventure playgrounds catering to different age groups of students.
Outdoor learning spaces and outdoor classrooms are used brilliantly in our Foundation Stage area and the benefits are clear through our tracking of attainment in physical development for these students.
Although many of you have read about these benefits before I just wanted to remind everyone of the importance of outdoor learning spaces at the Alice Smith School.
• An increase in physical development, capability and activity
• Setting up patterns for an active, healthy lifestyle
• Fewer children suffering from diseases such as obesity, Diabetes and ADD/ADHD
• Stronger language, problem-solving and communication skills through projects and group activity
• Developing an interest in science and math through connecting with nature
• Fostering learning through self-initiation, control and personal responsibility
• Higher, more positive self-esteem
• Effective relationship building in a cooperative, non-competitive environment
• Building a healthy and balanced internal psychology from time spent alone
• Manifesting classroom harmony
• Social-emotional mastery
• Familiarity with and appreciation of nature
• Wide, expansive view of how the world works
• Building stewardship skills for the environment
As a Campus, through the roof top garden and these other landscaping developments, we aim to ensure that we are bringing these benefits of outdoor learning spaces to a wider group of students. Continue to watch this space!
Kate Fuller - Principal Primary Campus