|
|
PromoImg
Media Galleries
Find Out More
PromoImg
FOBISIA
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage

The Arts

Art is a source of inspiration, enjoyment and fulfilment.

An introduction to our school’s vibrant - and very busy - arts community.

Assemblies

Students are able to perform on the stage from an early age, starting with weekly class assemblies at the Primary Campus, where all the members of a class participate in a small show involving music, dance and drama to the rest of the school and their parents, usually on a topic they are learning about in class.

Formal performances in assemblies continue at the Secondary Campus but with the additional impromptu concerts at break times and the tightly contested ‘Battles of the Bands’ competition adding a lively musical flavour around the campus throughout the year.

Stage Productions & Events

Large stage and musical productions are performed each term at the Alice Smith School

Larger stage and musical productions are performed each term at the Primary Campus with one full-scale annual production in Term 2 at the Secondary Campus. Recent productions have included Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Year 4), the Wizard of Oz (Year 2), Annie (Year 6) and the Secondary students recently performed Sweeney Todd to rave reviews.

Students can be involved in a stage production in a wide range of roles on the stage, in the orchestra, designing costumes or in the technical team.  There is great anticipation and excitement about our productions every year with the teachers and parents all helping out behind the scenes as make-up artists, costume makers, set designers and choreographers!  Other productions taking place at school include weekly ‘Music Moments’ performances to parents having their morning coffee, termly Music Soirees, Art Exhibitions and Concerts and the annual Christmas Concert involving students and staff from both campuses. School choirs, orchestras and bands also perform at functions in the community such as balls, dinners and embassy events.

Choir Tour

The Choir Tour is the most exciting and rewarding extra curricular activity I have taken part in during my whole teaching career.

The Choir Tour is the most exciting and rewarding extra curricular activity I have taken part in during my whole teaching career....it was truly marvellousRob Kimura-Davies, Key Stage 3 Leader

A highly anticipated event is the choir tour which is an overseas trip for students in the Secondary Campus school choir which gives them the chance to perform on world-famous stages in historic settings. Recent choir tours have travelled to the USA, Canada, Europe, Russia and Great Britain.

2008 was to California - Los Angeles and San Francisco - the great moment was singing California Dreamin' as we drove across the Golden Gate Bridge.

2009 to Canada and the USA, including New York, New Hampshire and Washington - highlight: singing on the steps of the White House

2010 to Austria, Slovenia and Italy - singing in Vienna's Votivkirche, Salzburg's Hohensalzburg castle, Maribor's choral festival, Venice, Lake Garda, Pisa, Florence and Rome.  Too many highlights to mention!

2011 to the British Isles, Durham and York cathedrals, Edinburgh Castle, Coleraine in Northern Ireland, the Eisteddfod competition in Llangollen, Wales, highlight: singing in St Paul's Cathedral in London.

2012 to Russia - St Petersburg and Moscow, highlight: singing in Smolny Cathedral and St Isaac's Cathedral....

Peripatetic Lessons

Our Music provision is the cream of the crop and experiencing exponential growth at the Alice Smith School with over 200 students enjoying our peripatetic music lessons at the Primary Campus alone.  Opportunities to learn a wide variety of instruments and musical styles are on offer either an extra-curricular activity or as a private lesson with one of our stunning range of specialist peripatetic music teachers and vocal coaches right here on site in one of our many sound-proofed practice rooms. Instrument lessons on offer at both campuses include piano, violin, voice, drums, guitar, saxophone, cello, flute and clarinet.

Wider Learning - the Arts

Special days or activity weeks dedicated to a particular section of the curriculum where students participate in practical activities outside of their normal timetable with students other than their classmates. For example, the Primary Campus enjoyed a week of learning themed ‘The Atlas of the Arts’ which looked at how the arts are represented from around the world, from Islamic art to ballroom dancing in Austria to tribal dancing in Africa, culminating in a performance extravaganza for parents at the end of the week. At the Secondary campus, Year 7 students enjoyed a wider learning day on African music where the whole year group gave a heart-felt musical and dance performance for visiting refugee children. There are also many trips to see concerts in Malaysia and Singapore as part of the curriculum or as a member of an after-school club.

Music Clubs

Both campuses offer a wide range of musical and arts related clubs and activities after school. These include choirs, orchestra, music ensembles. Please see Extra Curricular Activities for more information all the Extra-Curricular Activities we offer.

FOBISSEA Arts

The Alice Smith School is a founding member of the Federation of British International Schools in South-East Asia. The 20+ members of FOBISSEA hold various events, competitions and workshops throughout the year for students and teachers, which include annual arts events such as the FOBISSEA Primary Performing Arts Carnival, held in Beijing in 2013 and to be hosted by the Alice Smith School in 2014, FOBISSEA Music Festival and the FOBISSEA Choral Festival. Students with a particular interest in the performing arts are welcome to audition to represent the school at these events which comprise of workshops and performances in art, drama, music, dance and song.