|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
HdImage

Sixth Form FAQs

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer

How many students are in the Sixth Form?

There are approximately 180 students in the Sixth Form.

What is the dress code in Sixth Form?

Sixth Formers are expected to wear business/office dress and are not required to wear school uniform.

What is the curriculum in the Sixth Form?

The Sixth Form curriculum has been revised and updated. This primarily involves the replacement of the compulsory AQA Baccalaureate with a flexible and personalised curriculum from which students can select a bespoke combination of linear A Levels, an optional 2-year AS Level, the optional EPQ, the ACHIEVE personal development programme, Higher Education guidance, timetabled well-being sessions, supervised study and academic coaching. New elements of this exciting, personalised and rigorous curriculum are:

• Well-being: students in Year 12 and 13 are able to select from a range of timetabled recreational activities from sports and fitness (such as cross-fit, ultimate frisbee and volleyball) to group singing, dance, mindfulness, art and craft and more.
  • The ACHIEVE programme: this aspect of the Sixth Form curriculum covers many of the wider aspects of students’ development, focussing on personal, social, health and careers education to ensure readiness for life beyond school. 
  • ‘Super-Study’ and Academic Coaching: in order to support the transition to A Level study and prepare for undergraduate-style learning, students are timetabled for compulsory supervised study sessions within the school day. Within this provision students will be supported in their learning through the development of organisational and study skills where individual needs arise and academic coaching.

Can our son/daughter go to university or college outside of the UK if they study GCE A-levels in a British curriculum school?

Yes, definitely. We offer external examination the (International) General Certificate of Secondary Education - (I)GCSE - for students in Key Stage 4 (ages 14 – 16) and the GCE A Level qualification in the Sixth Form (ages 16-18). 

GCE A Levels are an internationally recognised qualification for university and college entrance. They are very highly regarded by all universities world-wide, including G8 universities in Australia, Ivy League in the US and other high quality universities worldwide.

What is the support given to help students and parents with university and college applications?

The Alice Smith School has a highly qualified, experienced and dedicated Higher Education team. This dynamic team is a specialised group which actively support students and parents with the Higher Education and Careers journey. With students who attend universities all over the world, we appreciate the varied and diverse support required for a successful application. Support begins as early as Year 9 and becomes more regular and personalised as the students move into the Sixth Form. This team works closely with students, parents, Heads of Department and subject teachers to give personalised support to students.

Students in the Sixth Form have a two-year Higher Education programme that is held weekly. In addition, students participate in university visits, seminars and forums. Small group workshops are held by visiting and local professionals to support student higher education transition.  Representatives from universities around the world, but particularly the UK and Australia, visit the school each year to talk to prospective applicants and provide advice about their applications. The school hosts and promotes many university fairs and events throughout the year.

How do Alice Smith GCE A-level grades compare with other British International schools?

Extremely well. KLASS students perform at very high levels when compared with their peers internationally. In 2017, 75% of grades awarded were A* - B.  This compares very favourably with, or better than, the best British international schools offering GCE A levels regionally and around the world, and with independent schools in the UK. Comparative data from CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring at Durham University) shows that our A Level value-added data places the quality of our teaching and learning in the top tier of schools worldwide who participate in this achievement-related evaluation process.

How do scores in the GCE A-level compare to grades in other pre-university courses such as the IB Diploma and AP courses in the US?

GCE A Level subject courses are highly regarded as having great depth of study and as being rigorous and challenging. As individual courses, the highest GCE A Level subject grade of A* has a UCAS tariff point score of 56 which equates to an IB HL score of 7. The table further illustrates this.

A Level UCAS Points IB Diploma HL
A* 56 7
A 48 6
B 40 5
C 32 4
D 24 3
E 16 2

Which universities do students go on to?

Over the last four years, over 95% of Alice Smith School students have gone onto Higher Education. The UK is still the most popular destination, followed by Australia, although there is an increasing number each year applying to high quality regional and worldwide universities. An impressive 85% of our students regularly obtain a place at their first choice university, with the majority of students choosing to study in the UK. Many Alice Smith students who apply to the UK secure places at Russell Group universities (24 highest ranked universities in the UK), with LSE, UCL, Imperial and Kings featuring in London placements. The top 100 universities worldwide feature in almost all applications and placements, with over 80% of students being accepted to such universities in 2017.

Which degree courses do students go on to study at university?

They study a wide variety of degree courses which reflects the diverse range of subjects available at A Level and the diversity of interests amongst students. Most popular are Sciences/Engineering, Social Sciences and Maths/Accounting.

How many students go to Oxbridge each year?

18 Alice Smith students have attended Oxford or Cambridge in the last five years.