|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
HdImage

Primary FAQs

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer.

Are there currently places available for Primary age students at the Alice Smith School?

There is a strong demand for places at the Alice Smith School and waiting lists can exist for most year. For current information on the availability of places, please contact our Admissions team or register your interest. Parents are strongly advised to apply early for places for their children at the school.

What are the class sizes?

We aim to maintain 22 students per class in Reception to Year 6. This number may be exceeded in exceptional circumstances, with an absolute maximum of 24. Pre-school class sizes are currently 22-26 students with a usual staff / child ratio of 1 to 6.

How many classes are there in each year group?

There are two classes in Pre-school and five classes in each year group from Reception to Year 6.

What does school day look like at the Primary Campus?

School begins at 7:45am for all children, Foundation Stage have a soft start and can arrive anytime between 7.45 am and 8.15 am. Mid morning break is 20 minutes and lunchtime is 40 minutes. School ends at 2:00pm and extra-curricular activities begin at 2:15pm and finish at 3:15. Preschool children finish at noon or can stay for the extended day until 1:45 pm.

What languages are taught at the Primary School?

In Primary, all children study Bahasa Melayu until Year 1. Students in Year 2-6 are able to choose between continuing their study of Bahasa Melayu or changing to French or Mandarin. Please note that a Malaysian passport holder that opts to study French or Mandarin during the school day are required to participate in our extended-day Bahasa Melayu provision. This takes place at the end of the school day, once a week for an hour.

What is the homework policy?

Each child is provided with a linkbook/diary and a homework book/folder to help them develop an organised approach to school-home life as appropriate. Homework is clearly explained in their homework book/folder or on Google Classroom and, where necessary, it is also written in the link book/diary.

In Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 homework is minimal, gradually increasing in Key Stage 2, as per our homework policy. We only provide meaningful and purposeful homework, known to have a positive impact on long term learning. We highly value the homework we provide, but also value time for family, play dates and pursuing other interests, so closely monitor homework loadings to ensure it is a manageable and pleasurable amount for our young students.

How are children assessed in the Primary Campus?

Formative assessment takes place on a daily, ongoing basis. It enables teachers to monitor the child’s progress in all areas and ensures they receive the feedback they need to make good progress. The information collected informs planning.

Foundation Stage children are ‘baselined’ during the first term using an online tracking tool -  ‘Tapestry’. This provides the teacher with valuable information about each child and their next steps in all areas of the Early Years curriculum. This tool is then continued to be used throughout the year to track progress.

Students in Years 1 to 6 complete standardised assessments in Maths and English towards the end of term 3. These are in addition to ongoing teacher assessment. In addition, students in Years 3-6 undertake the Cognitive Abilities Test 4 (CAT4). These are a series of short online tests which assess a student’s reasoning (thinking) abilities in key areas that support educational development and academic attainment.

How is my child’s academic and personal progress at school reported to me?

In Foundation Stage, student progress is tracked and documented using an online journal known as Tapestry. Parents have ‘real-time’ access to their child’s journal and are kept up-to-date with progress. At the end of Term 1 and 2, parents receive a summation of attainment and progress and pertinent next steps. Parents in FS1 also receive a summary at the end of term 3. Parents of FS2 students will, at the end of term 3, receive an end of Reception written report. This will report to parents their child’s progress towards the Early Learning Goals. 

In Years 1 to 6, parents receive two written reports - one at the end of term 1 and one at the end of term 3. This report includes a general class teacher comment, feedback in English, mathematics and all specialist subjects taken. In addition, parents are provided with ways that they can help support their child in English and maths. 

Parent-teacher conferences take place at least three times a year; twice in term 1 (a ‘settling-in’ meeting and an end of term parent/teacher consultation) and once in term 2 (a parent/teacher/student consultation). As well as these, parents can meet with class teachers throughout the school year by prior arrangement.

What co-curricular (after school) activities are offered at the Primary Campus?

There are about 100 activities available each term, covering sports, arts, academic, languages and other interest areas.

Does the school take students on enrichment and residential trips?

Yes. Field trips within KL and visits to places such as museums and natural areas enrich the curriculum at every level. An information letter together with a permission form is sent home to parents well in advance of the departure date. No student is allowed on any excursion unless a parent returns a signed permission form to the school. Residential field trips take place in Years 4, 5 and 6.

Is there a Gifted & Talented programme?

All children are carefully monitored to ensure that they are suitably challenged. Our curriculum has been designed to extend higher order thinking and child-led learning. This particularly suits more-able learners. Enrichment activities take place throughout the curriculum and the extra curricular activities that we provide.

Is there a buddy system?

On their first day, all new students are assigned a buddy, who will help them settle in and with making friends with their new classmates. Buddies are existing students who have volunteered to help new children settle into the school.

As part of our welcome process, it is customary at The Alice Smith School for new parents to be contacted by members of the PTA welcoming committee and the parent Class Rep for your child’s new class. 

Can my child buy snacks, drinks and lunch at school?

Students at the Primary Campus cannot purchase their own food. Instead, parents have a choice of ordering a daily school meal or sending in a packed lunchbox from home. Orders are made in advance through the KLASS Online Payment System (KLASS o.p.s.).

Who do we contact at school if we have questions?

Generally, initial contact should be with the child’s class teacher and can be via e-mail or through the child’s diary. Year Leaders oversee the pastoral education for all students in a year group and would normally be the next person to contact.

Are the children well behaved?

Expectations for behaviour at The Alice Smith School are high. We work hard at creating a positive and inclusive learning environment in which children feel at ease with themselves and their peers. Bullying (physical or verbal) and racism or any kind of discrimination are totally unacceptable and are not tolerated. We believe in reinforcing and rewarding good behaviour as defined by our ‘School Golden Rules’. The school Rewards and Sanctions programme is designed to support the way in which all members of the school live and work together in an environment where everyone feels happy, safe and secure.

How are children rewarded for good work or good behaviour?

Students can be rewarded for any achievement in and around school. All members of staff are collectively responsible for promoting and consistently rewarding positive behaviour. Rewards and incentives take various forms, such as: House Points, certificates, stickers etc.

How do you discipline children who have misbehaved?

All students are supported to behave positively. On occasions, school rules may be broken. Minor infringements of the rules will be dealt with by the Class Teacher or Year Leader. In the event of more serious issues, one of the school’s Leadership Team will be involved and parents will be contacted so that we can work together to resolve any problems.

Does the school offer learning support and facilities for children with special needs?

Whilst our school is academically non-selective, we do offer British-based schooling to students who can intellectually access the English National Curriculum. Applications for students who require special assistance are considered on a case by case basis. Our team of Learning Support Specialists and Assistants provide assistance and guidance to students who find particular aspects of the curriculum challenging.