|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
HdImage

Secondary FAQs

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer

Are there currently places available for students of secondary school age at the Alice Smith School?

There is a strong demand for places at the Alice Smith School and waiting lists can exist for some year groups. There are usually some places available in Years 7 to 10 and in Year 12 for the start of each school year in August. Places may also be available in January which may particularly suit Malaysian families who would like their child to complete local school examinations in November before joining our school for their continuing education. For current information on the availability of places, please contact the Admissions team at the Secondary Campus or complete a Register your Interest form.

Do current Primary Campus students wishing to enter the Secondary School at Equine Park need to submit a new application?

No. A new application is not required to enter Year 7 for students currently in Year 6. However, families should indicate their intention to take up a Year 7 place at the Secondary Campus as early as possible in Year 6.

Are there places available in the Sixth Form for new students?

Applications from new students for entry to Year 12 in the Sixth Form are encouraged. There may be places available and applications should be made as early as possible. To make an application, parents must submit a completed application form (123 KB).

How many students are there in a year group?

In Years 7 to 11 there are five tutor groups and up to 120 students in each year group. There are approximately 180 students in Years 12 and 13 in the Sixth Form.

Can my child buy snacks, drinks and lunch at school?

Students can purchase snacks, drinks and lunch from the school canteen. Food does not need to be pre-ordered. Students not purchasing their lunch must bring a packed lunch.

There are no longer SATs at the end of Year 9. How do you monitor your standards of achievement at the end of Year 9?

Throughout the school, an ambitious but realistic academic target-setting process ensures that every student is appropriately challenged to achieve to their academic potential. As part of excellent learning and teaching, students are regularly assessed through peer and teacher review.  Students complete both formative and summative assessments throughout taught topics in the curriculum. To ensure academic rigour against external standards, the school  uses external assessment tools. These are GL assessments, such as Cognitive Abilities Tests (CAT4) and Progress Tests. These are commonly used by other UK and International schools. 

Who do we contact at school if we have questions?

Within our pastoral system, each student has a tutor. The tutor sees the students in their tutor group each morning before classes commence and helps to oversee the personal well-being of the student at school. You can contact the school office to make an appointment to talk to the tutor at any time during the year.

The Key Stage Leaders and Assistant Key Stage Leaders oversee the pastoral education for all students in a year group and key stage. This includes the ACHIEVE programme, which is an important element of the curriculum. Our ACHIEVE programme is instrumental in our commitment to the personal development of our students by ensuring that the wider aspects of their learning are addressed through the academic curriculum and a dedicated programme of learning experiences. This combination of experiences is bespoke to Alice Smith and is tailored to suit students’ needs, strengths and context with the aim of nurturing well-being, character, self-awareness and self-assurance within a challenging, vibrant and supportive environment. 

If you have a particular question about an academic subject, you are welcome to contact the subject teacher directly by email or arrange a meeting through the school office.

How is my child’s academic and personal progress at school reported to me?

Academic performance reports are issued four times a year for Years 7 - 10 and 12, and three times a year for Years 11 and 13, with a full detailed written academic report once each year. The reports use a traffic-lighting system to clearly show a student’s performance against challenging short-term and longer-term academic targets in each subject. The reports contain a review of the curriculum being taught and any core assessments administered in that session of reporting, alongside the attainment outcome.

The written report also includes feedback to parents on each child’s personal development at school, in addition to their academic achievement and progress, and gives advice as to what the student needs to do to improve their learning and attainment. 

Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences are offered once each year. Students are encouraged to attend, along with their parents, to meet with their teachers and the meetings afford an opportunity to review the child’s progress. Additional Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences are held for Year 11 and Year 12 students. We appreciate the need for parents and teachers to sometimes communicate outside of the conference framework and as such we are happy to coordinate any such meetings. 

Students completing (I)GCSE and GCE AS/A2 Level external examinations receive statements and/or certificates of their achievement grades from these examination authorities.

Which universities do students go on to?

Over the last four years, over 95% of Alice Smith School students have gone onto Higher Education. The UK is still the most popular destination, followed by Australia, although there is an increasing number each year applying to high-quality regional and worldwide universities. An impressive 85% of our students regularly obtain a place at their first choice university, with the majority of students choosing to study in the UK. Many Alice Smith students who apply to the UK secure places at Russell Group universities (24 highest ranked universities in the UK), with LSE, UCL, Imperial and Kings featuring in London placements. The top 100 universities world-wide feature in almost all applications and placements, with over 80% of students being accepted to such universities in 2017.

Which degree courses do students go on to study at university?

They study a wide variety of degree courses, which reflects the diverse range of subjects available at A Level and the diversity of interests amongst students. Most popular are Sciences/Engineering, Social Sciences and Maths/Accounting.

How many students go to Oxbridge each year?

18 Alice Smith students have attended Oxford or Cambridge in the last five years.

How do Alice Smith examination results compare with other British International schools?

Extremely well. KLASS students perform at very high levels when compared with their peers internationally. In 2017, 75% of grades awarded were A* - B at A Level and 71% A* - A at (I)GCSE. This compares very favourably with, or better than, the best British international schools offering these qualifications regionally and around the world, and with independent schools in the UK. Comparative data from CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring at Durham University) shows that our value-added data places the quality of our teaching and learning in the top tier of schools worldwide who participate in this achievement-related evaluation process.

Does the school offer learning support and facilities for special needs?

Whilst our school is academically non-selective, we do offer British-based schooling to students who can intellectually access the National Curriculum for England. Applications for students who require special assistance are considered on a case by case basis and our team of Learning Support Specialists and Assistants in the Personalised Learning Faculty  can provide assistance, generally in small groups, to students.