|
|
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
PromoImg
AQA Baccalaureate
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Sixth Form Admissions

The Alice Smith Sixth Form programme offers students a personalised and flexible approach to the completion of their A levels. Students can select a desired pathway consisting of A level choices coupled with a 2 year AS level, and or the Extended Project Qualification. There is something for students of all interests and abilities. Details of courses and pathways can be obtained from the Admissions team.

A levels are a demanding educational qualification and as such a degree of aptitude and a high level of independence and motivation are required, both of which are taken into consideration when assessing applications. The Alice Smith School understands the international nature of its prospective student body and endeavours to provide access to students from all educational backgrounds that possess the necessary aptitude and attitude.

Upon receipt of the application, each student is assessed on an individual basis. Prior attainment and attitude is taken into consideration when assessing the suitability of each student for the Sixth Form programme at the Alice Smith School.

What are AS and A Levels?

AS and A Levels are UK examination programmes taken in the Sixth Form at the Alice Smith School. Students are required to select at least 3  subject choices to study on entering the Sixth Form in Year 12 and into year 13. Students may increase their academic repertoire by completing an AS over 2 years or the Extended Project Qualification.

Sixth Form Application Process

Applicants should complete and submit all required documentation outlined in the Application Form. For transfer into Year 12 students should submit their mock or expected (I)GCSE grades.

All applications are reviewed by the Head of Sixth Form and Vice Principal and applicants may be required to complete additional assessments to help evaluate their suitability for A level studies at Alice Smith.

Following the publication of (I)GCSE results in August, conditional offers will be confirmed, withdrawn or amended. Prospective students who have not met the conditions of their offer may be required to attend an admissions interview in September.

All Sixth Form students entering Year 12 will be required to attend an Induction Day before term starts in late August or early September.

Late applications into the Sixth Form are reviewed and assessed on a case by case basis. Subject choices offered at the point of entry may be reconsidered by the school, and the initial offer amended as deemed appropriate.

Entrance Requirements

The minimum entrance requirement for consideration of entry into the Sixth Form is an average (I)GCSE grade of C or 5.

Students who wish to study Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, French or Spanish are required to have an average (I)GCSE score of B or 6.

Certain subjects may also make recommendations in terms of the student’s aptitude for that subject. Such recommendations are the result of years of experience and should be a serious consideration in any decision to pursue that course of study. For exact subject recommendations, students and parents should refer to the subject summaries in the A Level options booklet, or contact the relevant Head of Department.

Students who do not meet the general academic or subject specific requirements for entry may be accepted conditionally. These conditions will be determined by the relevant Heads of Faculty/Department in consultation with the Sixth Form Leadership Team. In offering places, consideration will be given to aptitude and attitude. Applicants will be expected to attend an interview with the Head of Sixth Form, prior to a place being offered.

Students joining the school from education systems other than the British system will have their suitability assessed by the Vice Principal (Achievement and Progression) and the Sixth Form Leadership Team, in consultation with Heads of Faculty/Department, based on previous school reports and qualifications.