|
|
PromoImg
Academic Success
Find Out More
PromoImg
Sixth Form
Find Out More
HdImage
School Profile

For a PDF copy of the School Profile, please click this link: School Profile 2016-2017

Principal: Sarah Howling

Head of Higher Education: Emily Graham (hodhighereducation.ep@alice-smith.edu.my)

CEEB Number: 686470

Our Mission is to provide an outstanding British Education for a successful international future.

Our Vision is to lead the pursuit of excellence in learning through nurturing, inspiring and enriching the lives and characters of young people.   

We Believe that through generosity of time and our care and attention to every individual, we find a way to bring out the best in all people and create an enduring sense of belonging to something very special.

School and Community

• The Alice Smith School is a leading British International School in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
  • The school is a non-profit making co-education day school for students between the ages of 4-19.
  • The school roll is approximately 1533 students.
  • There are 46 nationalities represented: the UK/Commonwealth (44%); Malaysia (37%); with the remainder coming from a wide range of countries in Europe, Asia, Americas and Africa.
  • There are currently 80 students in our graduating class of 2017.
  • There are no entry requirements for the school apart from the ability to fully access and benefit from an education in the medium of English; we are a fully English speaking school.
  • The school year runs from September to July, following a three term cycle.
  • The majority of our students come from homes where one or both parents have professional or business backgrounds.
  • The majority of the teaching faculty is recruited in Britain with experience of teaching the UK curriculum; the student to teacher ratio is 10:1.
  • The school has a history of high academic achievement compared to both the majority of schools in the UK and similar British International schools in Asia.

School History

• The Alice Smith School was founded in 1946 by Alice Smith, a parent who began by teaching expatriate children alongside her daughter. When she left Malaya in 1950, the parents of children attending her school formally incorporated the Alice Smith Schools Foundation.
  • The first purpose built campus was opened in 1952 with our second specialised secondary campus following in 1997.

Accreditation

• BSO accreditation (British Schools Overseas) from the Department of Education in the United Kingdom.
  • Authorised centre for University of Cambridge International Examinations, Edexcel and AQA exam boards for GCSEs, IGCSEs, GCE A Levels and the AQA Baccalaureate.
  • Member of FOBISIA (Federation of British International Schools in Asia).
  • Member of COBIS (Council of British International Schools).
  • LPQN Leadership Development School for the National College of School Leadership.
  • Member of CIS (Council of International Schools).

Student Rankings

• The school does not rank students because, given the nature of our curriculum structure, it would be neither feasible nor just as students follow very individualised programmes from Grade 8 onwards; it is unlikely that any two students will be following exactly the same range of courses. Quartile Rankings however can be made available on request.

US College Applications

• For the purposes of US Application forms, we refer to our Year 13 (graduating class) as Grade 12.
  • We will support a maximum of 6 US applications per student; a maximum is implemented to ensure students are informed and selective in their choices.
  • All school references written (subject teacher and guidance counselor) are confidential.
  • If a student applies for Early Decision we uphold the agreement that they must withdraw all other applications globally.

Curriculum: Year 10 & 11 – Key Stage 4 (Equivalent to US grades 9 & 10)

• Students follow a two-year course preparing them for the British GCSE and IGCSE examinations.
  • This includes compulsory examinable courses in Math (12.5% of curriculum time), English (15%), and Science (20%).
  • In addition students choose four or five option subjects each occupying 10% of curriculum time. The choice of option subjects is balanced across the areas of Languages, Humanities, Technological subjects and Creative subjects.
  • The remainder of time is spent on non-examinable courses in PSHEE (Physical, Social, Health & Economic Education) and Physical Education.

Curriculum: Years 12 & 13 – Key Stage 5 (Equivalent to US grades 11 & 12)

GCE A Levels

• Students follow courses leading to the British GCE Advanced Subsidiary (AS) Level and Advanced (A) Level examinations.
  • Most students study four AS Level subjects in Year 12 and carry on three of these subjects to full A Level in Year 13. Each subject is taught for 5 hours each week plus homework assignments.
  • An AS Level course is equivalent to 40% of an A Level course.  

AQA Baccalaureate

• In addition to their A Level courses, most students will complete the AQA Baccalaureate, an exam board accredited qualification graded at Distinction, Merit or Pass.
  • The AQA Baccalaureate adds further breadth and variety of disciplines to our A Level programme.
  • It comprises of three elements in addition to a minimum of 3 A Levels: an AS Level in General Studies or an additional AS Level in another subject; an Enrichment Programme (minimum of 100 hours across Community Service, Work Related Learning and Personal Development; on average our students complete over 200 enrichment hours throughout Grade 11); and an Extended Project Qualification (an independent research project equivalent to 50% of an A Level).
  • Non-examined courses are also included in the curriculum to broaden the experience of the students. All students participate in compulsory Physical Education, PSHEE (Physical, Social, Health & Economic Education) and Higher Education sessions.

The following websites can provide you with further information on Key Stages, UK external examinations, examined syllabi, and other British acronyms:
www.qca.org.uk      http://web.aqa.org.uk      http://www.edexcel.com     http://www.cie.org.uk

Grading System

• Students sitting for I/GCSEs and A Levels are graded according to the grading system as defined by the Joint Council for Qualifications (UK nationalised grading system).
  • Assessments are criteria-based, defined by attainment descriptors for each course, not by statistical percentages.
  • Students receive both a full written report and a 1:1 progress meeting between student, parents and subject teacher, as well as a progress grade at 3/4 assessment points throughout the academic year. This progress grade is based upon their attainment against the A/AS or GCSE grade descriptors and gives an indication of their expected outcome at the end of their GCSE and GCE courses.
  • Students’ progress towards their individual targets is reported on rather than ranking students.
  • This table illustrates the respective grade ranking and grade points using NCAA conversion guidelines (see below):

I/GCSE

AS/A Level

Grade Point

Description

A*

A*

4

Outstanding achievement

A

A

4

Excellent achievement

B

B

3

Very good achievement

C

C

3

Good achievement

D

D

2

Satisfactory achievement

E

E

2

Satisfactory achievement

GPA

Whilst we use GCSE and GCE grade criteria to assess student attainment, for the purposes of US college applications, we have converted students’ attainment grades into a GPA using the conversion guidelines offered by the NCAA
(http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/IS1314.pdf). As such we operate on a 4 point GPA scale incorporating students’ final GCSE and GCE grades along with their assessment grades throughout their GCE courses.

Courses Offered at GCE AS Level and GCE A Level

Art English Literature Mathematics
Biology French    Media Studies
Business Studies  Further Mathematics Music
Chemistry  Geography  Photography
Design Technology: Graphics  General Studies   Physical Education 
Design Technology: Resistant Materials German   Psychology
Drama   History    Sociology
Economics ICT Spanish
English Language  Mandarin   

Academic Achievement

• The examination results of Alice Smith School students compare favourably against the collective results of schools in the United Kingdom, as published by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ).
    • It should be noted that nearly all students in the UK sit GCSE examinations and that only the top 20% of the UK student population (age 18 years) enter GCE Advanced Level examinations.

It should also be noted that the majority of schools in the Independent sector are academically selective in their intake.

GCSE Results 2016

A*

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

U

Independent

34

27

21

13

4

1

0

0

0

Alice Smith

43

28

17

8

3

1

0

0

0

UK Average

7

14

21

25

17

8

4

2

2

GCE Advanced Level Results 2016

A*

A

B

C

D

E

U

Independent

17

30

25

15

8

4

1

Alice Smith

12

23

30

22

6

5

1

UK National Average

8

17

27

25

15

6

2

GCE Advanced Level National (UK) Results by Subject 2016

A*

A

B

C

D

E

U

Art and Design

12.2

15.4

29.2

26.7

12.3

3.5

0.7

Biology

9.3

17.8

23.9

21.6

16.1

8.5

2.8

Business Studies

3.2

11.2

27.9

30.4

18.3

6.9

2.1

Chemistry

8.4

23.5

26.4

18.7

12.9

7.4

2.7

Design and Technology

4.2

12.1

24.2

27.0

20.9

9.6

2.0

Drama

4.0

12.2

30.5

31.2

17.0

4.3

0.5

Economics

7.2

22.9

30.3

21.7

11.4

4.7

1.8

English

5.7

13.4

29.2

32.5

16.0

2.8

0.4

French

8.8

28.5

28.2

18.9

10.5

4.2

0.9

Geography

6.0

20.2

29.7

25.6

13.4

4.1

1.0

German

9.6

30.0

28.4

19.0

9.3

3.2

0.5

History

5.4

18.0

31.9

28.0

12.9

3.2

0.6

ICT

1.3

9.0

20.3

28.1

24.8

12.8

3.7

Mathematics

17.5

24.3

22.3

16.1

10.8

6.1

2.9

Mathematics (Further)

28.7

27.5

20.6

11.3

6.5

3.5

1.9

Media Studies

1.2

9.4

32.0

37.8

16.1

3.0

0.5

Music

4.1

14.9

26.0

27.7

18.8

7.1

1.4

Physical Education

3.3

12.5

23.8

25.6

20.6

11.9

2.3

Physics

8.8

20.8

22.5

19.3

15.0

10.0

3.6

Psychology

5.2

12.7

26.8

27.1

17.7

7.8

2.7

Sociology

5.6

13.2

27.1

28.7

16.9

6.4

2.1

Spanish

8.4

26.0

31.3

20.4

10.0

3.1

0.8

Activities and Service

• The school supports student participation in events with other international school students in Malaysia and overseas. The Alice Smith School participates in FOBISIA, SEASAC, ISAC and ISAKL sports programmes which include cross-country, basketball, football, rugby, touch rugby, volleyball, swimming and athletics.
  • All students are encouraged to take part in a wide range of extra-curricular activities.
  • All Key Stage 5 students complete the AQA Enrichment Programme as part of their AQA Baccalaureate (see above).
  • The Alice Smith School is a registered centre for the provision of the International Award (based on the Duke of Edinburgh award which requires young people to be involved in sports, cultural, service and expedition activities).
  • The Alice Smith School is a member of the Model United Nations and attends MUN conferences in Singapore and The Hague as well as hosting our own conference.
  • All students at the Alice Smith School attend a one week residential experience on a yearly basis. These residential trips focus on community service and personal development. Through such trips the Alice Smith School supports community activities and projects such as Camps International Project Kenya, Mangroves replanting with the Global Environment Centre Malaysia and local schools via the Maekok River Valley project in Thailand.
  • Throughout the year there are ongoing charity fundraising projects, including our high-profile annual Charity Dinner, for a range of local and international charities including the Make a Wish Foundation and Lighthouse Fund.

University and Colleges Attended by Alice Smith Students in the Last Three Years

The school would expect nearly all of the students from these highly academic courses to go on to well recognised universities or colleges in Britain, USA, other European Union Countries, Canada, Australia or Asia. Every year the school would expect some students to gain admission to some of the most competitive universities around the world.

Australia
Monash University
University of Adelaide
University of Melbourne
University of New South Wales
University of Queensland
University of Sydney

Canada
McGill University
University of British Columbia

France
ESC Rennes School of Business

Hong Kong
University of Hong Kong

Ireland
Royal College of Surgeons
Trinity College Dublin

Japan
Waseda University

Malaysia
Herriot Watt University, Malaysia Campus
HELP University
International Medical University
Newcastle University, Malaysia
Penang Medical College
Taylor’s University
University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus

Netherlands
HU University of Applied Sciences

Singapore
Yale-NUS

United Kingdom
Brighton University
Brunel University
Coventry University
Durham University
Edinburgh Napier
Falmouth University
Goldsmiths University of London
Hertfordshire University
Imperial College, London
Kings College, London
Kingston University
Leeds Metropolitan University
London School of Economics
London South Bank
Loughborough University
Manchester Metropolitan University
Middlesex University
Northumbria University
Oxford Brooks University
Queen Margaret University
Queen Mary, University of London
Queen’s University, Belfast
Royal Holloway, University of London
SOAS, University of London
Swansea University
University College, London
University of Arts London
University of Aberdeen
University of Bath
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
University of Cardiff
University of East Anglia
University of Edinburgh
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
University of Kent
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Plymouth
University of Portsmouth
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of St Andrews
University of Surrey
University of York
University of Warwick
University West of England
University of Westminster
University of Winchester

USA
Brown University
Minerva at KGI
Northeastern University
University of Boulder, Colorado
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
University of Tulsa
Union University
Wesleyan University