|
|
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Media Galleries
Find Out More
PromoImg
Trips
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Personal Challenge
By selling my toys, it meant I could buy 4 guitars for children who had very little. This made me realise how lucky I am
Cameron, Year 6

Citizenship Awards, the Year 6 Challenge and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme are just a few of the examples of the challenges and opportunities on offer to students.

There is a broad range of activities and challenges which encourage personal development and develop the life skills required for the future.

Developing confidence and compassion 

Bronze, Silver and Gold Citizenship Awards have been designed by the school for Primary students in Years 3, 4 and 5 to recognise the positive contributions they make during the year to their school and community. Students complete a series of tasks which include participation, developing their confidence when speaking to a group, holding a position of responsibility and being aware and respectful of others. The Citizenship Awards also include tasks relating to fundraising, looking after the environment, healthy living and safety.

Students in Year 6 are able to take part in the Year 6 Challenge, which is a year-long award aimed at tackling new challenges, improving teamwork and organisational skills as well as encouraging community-based service. This truly is a challenge with deadlines throughout the year but is a popular and fun undertaking.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is an exciting self-development programme available to all young people worldwide equipping them with life skills to make a difference to themselves, their communities and the world. To date, almost 5 million young people from over 100 countries have been motivated to undertake a variety of voluntary and challenging activities.

Year 6 Challenge Highlights

These are some wonderful examples of how students have helped others as part of their Year 6 challenge.

• Four Year 6 girls helped to teach piano, baking, arts and craft and even Irish dancing to girls at Openhands, a children’s home in Kajang, Malaysia. 
  • Cameron raised money by selling toys to buy the children at Openhands four guitars.
  • Oliver brought smiles to over 100 refugee children from Burma at Christmas by giving each of them a red bucket filled to the brim with good quality toys he had collected from the school and local communities.
  • Arend helped at a tree planting day in the peatlands of Raja Musa Forest Reserve. 

Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award

Annually, approximately 80 students from the Alice Smith School vie for The International Award, which is based on three levels, each successive one requiring a greater degree of commitment.

BRONZE - for over 14’s. The minimum period of participation to gain this Award is 6 months.

SILVER - for over 15’s. The minimum period of participation to gain this Award is 12 months.

GOLD - for over 16’s. The minimum period of participation to gain this Award is 18 months.

To gain an Award, participants must complete activities in four sections for a specified minimum period of time. There is an additional requirement of a residential project at Gold Level. Participants decide what they would like to do for each of the following sections.

Service: Participants engage with their community and discover the impact they can have through community service projects, conservation work, voluntary service in hospitals or community homes, and more specialised training such as lifesaving, first aid or rescue services.

Adventurous Journey: Through adventure and discovery participants develop an understanding of the environment, and the importance of working together in a team with a common purpose. It can be on foot, by bicycle, boat or on horseback. Training, preparation, self-sufficiency and self-reliance are the key elements.

Skills: Students develop personal interests and learn practical skills. There are almost limitless possibilities to choose from. There is no set standard that participants must reach: they set their own goals and measure their progress against them.

Physical Recreation: By undertaking some form of organised and regular physical activity, participants show perseverance and improve their fitness. Their goal is to record their individual progress. Most team and individual sports are included, such as football, athletics, and archery.

Residential Project: The Gold Award Residential Project aims to broaden experience through living and working with others (who are not everyday companions). The project takes place over a period of five consecutive days. It requires resilience, adaptability and consideration for others. This year the Gold Award students went to Pulau Tioman.

Cameron, Year 6