|
|
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Physical Education
All sports, for all people
Baron Pierre De Coubertin

Central to the study of Physical Education and sport is the development of knowledge, understanding, skills and technique; both physical and cognitive.

Students will have the chance to take on the roles of ‘performer’, ‘leader’ and ‘official’ at AS Level, before focusing on one of these roles at A2. In the context of their chosen role, they will review their current participation in physical activity, identify opportunities locally, nationally and internationally for them to advance their participation and create a development plan and a life plan for future improvement.

Elsewhere, students will learn about sport, from the grass roots to the elite level, and the development of competitive sport. Healthy lifestyles, fitness and training, and the physiological and psychological preparations for sports performance are also covered extensively.

It is worth noting that practical performance counts for less than 20% of the final grade at both AS and A2. This is significantly less than GCSE PE where 60% of the final grade is practical.

The Alice Smith School results are impressive at A Level with a four year rolling average of 82% of students achieving A*-C and a 100% pass rate, with a number of students going on to study sports related degrees such as Sports Science, at leading UK universities, including Loughborough, Sheffield and Edinburgh.

Course Requirements

Students wishing to follow this course should have achieved an average of a grade C in their GCSE results and they must be physically able and willing to learn through practical lessons. It is vital that candidates are involved in competition in their chosen performances. This can include participation in school teams and/or participation in external clubs.

Opportunities

Physical Education A Level was introduced in 1988 and is widely accepted by all top universities. Career opportunities in sports science in areas such as nutrition, biomechanics, psychology, fitness and training and technology have grown enormously over the last two decades. Alternative career paths include coaching, teaching or sports medicine. There are specialised sports degrees such as Applied Sports Science, Physiotherapy, Sports Management and Sport & Business for students with a keen interest in these fields of expertise. Other leading universities who offer sports related degrees include Durham, Exeter and Birmingham.

All sports, for all people
Baron Pierre De Coubertin