|
|
PromoImg
Virtual Tour
Find Out More
PromoImg
Media KS 4
Find Out More
HdImage
Media Studies

We live in a world where media are omnipotent:

An increasing number of people spend a great deal of time watching television, surfing the internet, downloading movies, TV shows and music, reading online newspapers and magazines and listening to the radio. Arguments for the study of the media as a preparation for responsible citizenship are formidable now and with the development of communications technology ought to be irresistible. This trend is certainly reflected at the Alice Smith School where the number of students taking A Level Media Studies has more than quadrupled in the last four years.

Media Studies is demanding, but it makes learning interesting, creative and accessible to young people who are already expert consumers of the media. We feel it is essential that students are given the critical tools to make sense of their world and that they are given the necessary skills to approach all media products in an informed, objective and analytical manner. 

Our results are excellent and outstanding compared with other schools where 89% of A Level students were awarded A*-B grade in 2013 (compared with 46% in the UK independent school sector.

The students are taught to develop their understanding of key media theory and concepts and apply their critical skills to analyse a range of texts from all media platforms. All theory is generally taught through hands-on practical case studies, so students learn about the application of theory through the practice of creating a range of media artifacts. In order that they can do this effectively they are trained to operate a variety of industry professional standard audio-visual hardware and software.  Our new purpose built television and film studio is now fully operational.  Students have the opportunity to use state of the art broadcast technology that will not only enhance their learning experience, but will develop their technical expertise and production skills. This is an exciting time to be studying media at the Alice Smith School!

Course Requirements

Due to the essay-based nature of assessment, we recommend that students have a GCSE Grade C or higher in English Language or GCSE Media Studies

Opportunities

Media A Level prepares students for progression into work or higher education in a range of media-related areas. Many of our students go on to study media-related courses in the UK, USA and Australia. The choice of courses is huge. The major thing to consider is whether you want to do a course that is pure theory-based like those offered by Warwick University, or whether you would prefer a course that mixes practical with theory like York University.

There are literally thousands of career choices in the media depending on whether you want to work in the publishing, broadcasting or e-media fields. Before making a career choice you need to decide where your strengths lie. Are you skilled in design, or do you want to use your writing skills? Are you a great communicator and organiser? There are jobs out there for all of these skill-sets, but the competition is fierce and you must be the kind of person who is determined and driven if you are going to succeed.