|
|
PromoImg
The Arts
Find Out More
PromoImg
Student Voices
Find Out More
HdImage
English Literature
You develop the insight of an artist, the analytical precision of a scientist, and the persuasiveness of a lawyer.
Prof. M. Moran, Brunel University

English literature at AS and A Level is both challenging and exciting. Students will read a wide range of both modern and canonical texts, focusing on genre and meaning.

Students will develop their awareness of critical methods and become mature, independent thinkers. Lessons provide opportunities for students to explore texts in detail and to consider different approaches and interpretations. Discussion is a hugely important part of English, and not only do students express their opinions on a text, but also delve into issues of culture, psychology, politics and history. 

The course provides an excellent balance of coursework and examination units, with the A2 coursework allowing students to work independently and select their own choices of texts. Students will develop skills which are vital for a wide range of subjects: the ability to read critically, exploring connections and comparisons between texts; the ability to articulate creative, informed responses and the ability to write and speak with confidence and accuracy.

Course Requirements

It is desirable that students embarking upon an A Level English Literature course have achieved at least a grade 'C' in GCSE English Literature.

Opportunities

Students of English Literature have a wide range of possible higher education opportunities. Whilst some of our students have gone on to study English at university, others have opted for a diverse range of courses that have included media, journalism, law, politics, business, biology and veterinary science.

Prof. M. Moran, Brunel University