|
|
PromoImg
Media Galleries
Find Out More
PromoImg
DT Gallery
Find Out More
HdImage
Design Technology
DT doesn't separate out design from technology; but recognises that art and science, the practical and theoretical, can work together.
James Dyson

Design Technology (DT) prepares students to participate in tomorrow's rapidly changing technologies.

Students learn to think and intervene creatively to improve quality of life, as individuals or part of a team.  At A Level, students must work to a real need and are encouraged to find this outside of the school. The products that are generated should be able to exist in the market place as viable, functional commercial products.  The ability to combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetics, social and environmental issues, function and industrial practices is essential for success.

Course Requirements

Students opting for the above courses should have a strong background in Design Technology. Without a GCSE related qualification or equivalent, applicants are subjected to approval by the Head of Department. We offer two separate disciplines – Edexcel Design and Technology: Product Design (Resistant Materials) and Edexcel Design and Technology: Product Design (Graphic Products).

Opportunities

Students following this level of study often choose to pursue a degree level course in art, various aspects of design from fashion to automotive or a similar field such as architecture or engineering mainly at leading universities in the UK, US or Australia. The development of key DT skills such as critical thinking, receptiveness to new ideas and an awareness of environmental technological advancements are key for any field of higher learning and position of responsibility or leadership.

James Dyson