|
|
PromoImg
Virtual Tour
Find Out More
PromoImg
The Arts
Find Out More
PromoImg
Art Gallery
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Art & Design and Digital Photography
Art is a source of inspiration, enjoyment and fulfilment.

Both EDEXCEL Art & Design and Digital Photography courses are offered at A Level.

Students work to the same assessment objectives as at GCSE and are given more time and freedom to explore their own interests in terms of subject matter as well as media and techniques. They also have the advantage of a personal work space that is larger than those provided by most UK universities for both under and post graduate students. Photography students continue to have use of the lighting studio and are encouraged to become much more experimental in their attitude regarding what photography might be in terms of production and post production techniques.

A2 students work independently and are required to set their own brief for their coursework module and write a 2000 word essay in parallel to work produced for their practical portfolio. This is a particularly exciting time for students who have chosen to study on an Art & Design related courses at university as they can set their agenda according to their professional interests and aspirations.

Course Requirements

Students opting for the above courses must have a strong background and advanced skills in Art & Design (a grade C GCSE or equivalent is required for either course). Students must be prepared to carry out independent research, practical experimentation and fieldwork. A strong sense of enthusiasm, work ethic, exploration and commitment are essential.

Opportunities

Students interested in studying for a degree in one of the Art & Design disciplines such as fine art, digital media, product design and fashion design, can go on to study on a foundation course for a year before choosing their specialism at degree level. Alternatively, students can choose to apply directly to their chosen degree, such as architecture, if already known. The department is particularly proud of its ongoing success in preparing students for direct entry onto Architecture degrees at the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London.

Students who are considering careers in engineering, science, medicine, law or business who have a passion and flare for art or photography should seriously consider studying Art & Design or Digital Photography at A Level. The focus on problem solving, including rigorous academic research, visual and written analysis, open minded experimentation and critically aware decision making, equips prospective professionals with the attitudes, attributes and transferable skills required for success regardless of their chosen field.