|
|
PromoImg
Trips
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Media Studies

Media Studies continues to grow in popularity. In five years we have gone from 2 media classes to 8 at all Key Stage levels - an increase 400%.  

Media Studies is demanding, but it makes learning interesting, creative and accessible to young people who are already expert consumers of the media. We feel it is essential that students are given the critical tools to make sense of their world and that they are given the necessary skills to approach all media products in an informed, objective and analytical manner.

Another reason that recruitment continues to grow is the department’s consistent and impressive exam results. Our GCSE and A Level results are some of the most impressive in the school, and when we compare ourselves to similar establishments in the UK and around the world, our results measure up to the very best. In 2013, 68% of our students were graded A*-A compared 27% of students taking GCSE Media Studies at UK independent schools.  Similarly at A Level, 89% of A2 students were awarded A*-B grade in 2013 (compared with 46% in the UK independent school sector).

In addition to GCSE and A Level, Year 9 students can opt for Media Studies as a mini-option (one lesson a week). This is a fun course that introduces the students to media through the use of a range of software and hardware.  There is also an extra-curricular club open to all students on how to use a TV studio.

As well as learning media theory the students are also trained to operate a variety of audio-visual software.  Our new purpose built television and film studio is now fully operational.  Students have the opportunity to use state of the art broadcast technology that will not only enhance their learning experience, but will develop their technical expertise and production skills. This is an exciting time to be studying media at The Alice Smith School!