|
|
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
HdImage
Curriculum Support
Every child is gifted. They just unwrap their packages at different times.
Anon

The Curriculum Support team are committed to ensuring that all students fulfil their potential; supporting them academically and personally and facilitating independent learning.

We provide support for students with special educational needs (SEN) and for those who speak English as their second language (EAL). In addition we offer guidance to any student with learning, organisational, revision or exam difficulties. The nature of our support programmes reflects the importance of the flexibility in our approach.  

Students are assisted in their learning by a qualified, experienced and passionate team of professionals, in an informal yet studious environment where they can feel at ease and make academic gains appropriate to their abilities.

The Curriculum Support department at the Alice Smith School is dedicated and equipped to providing an unparalleled network of educational support for every one of our students, at every stage of their learning.

In Class Support

This takes the form of support via a specialist Teaching Assistant or a Teacher in primarily the core subjects of English, Maths and Science across all of Key Stage 3. This type of support is sometimes offered in other subjects such as History, Geography or Design Technology, depending on the curriculum need.

Withdrawal Intervention

This type of support is for SEN and EAL students who feel they require a more immersive experience to help with their academic needs. These support periods take the place of one of the two Modern Foreign Language subjects chosen at Key Stage 3 and other subjects (depending on timetable) at Key Stage 4.

Booster Sessions

These are offered to students who need just that, a boost in a particular subject to get them back on academic track. They may take the form of one, two or any number of sessions depending on the student’s need. The pupil is withdrawn from a different subject each time so as not to impact adversely on the student’s regular curriculum content.

Monitoring Support

This type of support is for those students that function well in school but may need a little bit of assistance every now and then. It takes the form of a regular but brief meeting between the student and a specialist teacher in which the pupil’s current progress is discussed and workable, convenient ways forward are recommended.

‘Learning to Learn’ programme

This non-examined programme is available in Year 9 (1 period) and Years 10 and 11 (3 periods each) and helps students identify and utilize techniques and methods that are most effective for them to ensure they become active, independent and lifelong learners. At Key Stage 4, the course also covers such diverse topics as Revision Techniques, GCSE Preparation and Literacy Skills.

EAL After-School Activity

This activity is for EAL Learners to get the most from the curriculum, language-wise! Like the title says, it takes place once a week after school with the emphasis being very much on honing those language skills that sometimes can’t be reviewed during the regular school day.

If you have direct questions regarding any of the aforementioned CSU programmes or how we may support your child, please contact the Head of Department, Ray Jennings or the Admissions Team.

Anon