|
|
PromoImg
The Arts
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Design Technology
Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
Steve Jobs

We encourage children to develop an early interest in the technological advancements in today’s rapidly changing world.

Through play opportunities, discrete Design and Technology (DT) projects and through cross-curricular links, students learn to think creatively to improve quality of life. We enable students to become autonomous and creative problem solvers, working both individually and collaboratively.

‘Design creates culture. Culture shapes values. Values determine the future.’ Robert L. Peters

Students are encouraged to consider the expanding influence of design within society and the growing role of technology within design. DT combines practical skills with an understanding of aesthetics, sustainability, function and industrial practices.  It requires students to think beyond their own needs to those of a consumer, and to reflect and evaluate their designs and products, as well as commercially available products, based on those needs.  In their DT studies, students can take advantage of our wide range of resources in our dedicated and fully-equipped DT room. Many classes will also visit our secondary Campus where they will enjoy DT lessons led by Secondary specialists in our state-of-the-art Design and Technology labs.

At the Alice Smith School, we aim for our students to, through Design & Technology, become discriminating and informed users, and, more importantly, innovators.

Steve Jobs