|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
HdImage
Sixth Form FAQs

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer

How many students are in the Sixth Form?

There are approximately 200 students in Sixth Form.

What is the dress code in Sixth Form?

Sixth formers are expected to wear business/office dress and are not required to wear school uniform. More details on the dress code can be found on the uniform page.

Can our son/daughter go to university or college outside of the UK if they study GCE A levels in a British curriculum school?

Yes, definitely. We offer external examination study courses – the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and GCSE for 14 – 16 years old students and the GCE A Level qualification for 16 – 18 years old students. GCE A Levels are an internationally recognised qualification for university and college entrance. They are very highly regarded by all universities world-wide, including G8 universities in Australia, Ivy League in the US and other high quality universities world-wide.

What support is given to help students and parents with university and college applications?

The Alice Smith School has a Head of Higher Education (based in the Sixth Form) and an Enrichment Leader to support students, in addition to a dedicated careers and enrichment office and a supportive Sixth Form leadership and tutor team. The diverse professional background of the teaching staff allows us to provide individual support to every student regardless of where they may be seeking to study after graduation. Representatives from universities around the world, but particularly the UK and Australia, visit the school each year to talk to prospective applicants and provide advice about their applications. Tertiary education fairs for the UK, US, Europe and Australia are annual events in KL and are promoted and attended by our support staff.

How do Alice Smith School’s GCE A Level grades compare with other British International schools?

Extremely well. KLASS students perform at very high levels when compared with their peers internationally. In the last three years, the rolling average number of A*/B grades at GCE A level has been 73%, with 74% A*/B and 47% A*/A grades in June 2014. This compares very favourably with, or better than, the best British international schools offering GCE A levels regionally and around the world, and with independent schools in the UK. Comparative data from CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring at Durham University) shows that our A Level value-added data places the quality of our teaching and learning in the top tier of schools worldwide who participate in this achievement related evaluation process.

How do scores in the GCE A Level compare to grades in other pre-university courses such as the IB Diploma and AP courses in the US?

GCE A Level subject courses are highly regarded as having great depth of study and as being rigorous and challenging. As individual courses, the highest GCE A Level subject grade of A* has a UCAS tariff point score of 140 compared with the highest IB Diploma HL course grade of 7 which has a score of 130. A GCE A level grade of A is worth 120 UCAS tariff points, with a B grade worth 100 points and so on.

Which universities do students go on to?

Over the last four years 95% of Alice Smith School students have gone onto Higher Education. The UK is still the most popular destination, followed by Australia, although there is an increasing number each year applying to high quality regional and North American universities. In 2014 85% of students received their first choice of university. Many Alice Smith students who apply to the UK secure places at Russell Group universities (24 highest ranked universities in the UK), with LSE, UCL, Imperial and Kings featuring in London placements. Top 100 universities world-wide feature in almost all applications and placements.

Which degree courses do students go on to study at university?

They study a wide variety of degree courses which reflects the diverse range of subjects available at A level and the diversity of interests amongst students. Most popular are Engineering, Business/Economics and Medicine/Dentistry.

How many students go to Oxbridge each year?

From the last three graduating classes, thirteen students accepted places to study at Oxbridge - two in 2014 (four offered places); seven in 2013 and four in 2012 (five were offered places)

The courses read by students have included Medicine, Natural Sciences, Engineering and History.