|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
HdImage
Primary FAQs

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer.

Are there currently places available for Primary age students at the Alice Smith School?

There is a strong demand for places at the Alice Smith School and waiting lists can exist for most year. For current information on the availability of places, please contact our Admissions team or register your interest. Parents are strongly advised to apply early for places for their children at the school.

What are the class sizes?

We aim to maintain 22 students per class in Reception to Year 6. This number may be exceeded in exceptional circumstances, with an absolute maximum of 24. Pre-school class sizes are currently 24 and 18 with a staff / child ratio of 1 to 6.

How many students are there in each year group?

There are two classes in Pre-school and five classes in each year group from Reception to Year 6.

What does school day look like at the Primary Campus?

School begins at 7:45am for all children, Foundation Stage have a soft start and can arrive anytime between 7.45am and 8.30am. Mid morning break is 20 minutes and lunchtime is 40 minutes. School ends at 2:00pm and extra-curricular activities begin at 2:15pm and finish at 3:15. Pre-school children finish at noon.

What languages are taught at the Primary School?

In Primary, all children study Bahasa Melayu until Year 1. If they are not Malaysian, they are then able to choose between continuing this or changing to French or Mandarin in Year 2, 3 or 4. For Years 5 and 6, students can study two languages; they continue with the language they are already studying plus choose one new language. Please note that all Malaysian passport holders must study Bahasa Melayu throughout Primary.

What is the homework policy?

Each child is provided with a Homework Diary/ Organiser to help them develop an organised approach to homework. Children are expected to list homework in their diaries and parents are encouraged to monitor and comment.

Homework is less formal in the early years before gradually increasing in Key Stage 2, as below:

• Year 3 - one relevant 15 minute session based on work explored in class together with nightly spelling and reading.
  • Year 4 - one relevant 20-minute session based on work explored in class together with nightly spelling and reading.
  • Year 5 & 6 - one 30 minute session based on work explored in class together with nightly spelling, reading and mental maths. Students will also receive regular MFL homework and may also have personal research projects.

How are children assessed in the Primary Campus?

Varied formative assessment takes place on a daily, on-going basis. It enables teachers to monitor the child’s progress in all areas and ensures they receive the feedback they need to make good progress. The information collected informs planning.

Summative assessments are like a snapshot of performance and are mostly carried out during Term 3. At the Alice Smith School, to ensure the data we collect is as reliable as possible, we use three measures, two from UK recognised testing systems and Teacher Assessment. The data is triangulated and helps us assess our teaching and learning and analyse the progress the children are making.

Foundation Stage children are ‘baselined’ during the first term using an online tracking tool known as ‘Tapestry’. This provides the teacher with valuable information about each child and their next steps in all areas of the Early Years curriculum. This tool is used throughout the year to track progress and in addition, at the end of Foundation Stage 2, the students work one to one with their class teacher to complete a Maths and Reading standardised assessment set by GL Assessments, UK.

Students in Years 1 to 5 participate in Term 3 GL Assessments in Reading and Maths.
All students in Year 3 sit an additional ‘PIPs’ assessment in Term 1. This is set by the the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Durham University, UK and assesses Maths and Reading. It also predicts expected performance for each child by the end of Year 6. The school uses this information to measure value added.
Currently, at the end of Key Stage 2 (Year 6), students are required to participate in statutory National Curriculum Tests in English and Mathematics.

How is my child’s academic and personal progress at school reported to me?

In Foundation Stage, student progress is tracked and documented using an online journal known as Tapestry. Parents have ‘real-time’ access to their child’s journal and are kept up-to-date with  progress. At the end of Term 1 and 2, parents receive a summation of attainment and progress and pertinent next steps. At the end of Term 3, parents receive a downloaded copy of their child’s full journal and a printed data sheet showing detailed attainment in each area of the EYFS curriculum.

In Years 1 to 6, parents receive one written report per term which includes feedback in all subjects as well as targets for their child in English and Maths. 

Parent-teacher inductions and conferences take place at least 3 times a year. As well as these, parents can meet with class teachers throughout the school year by prior arrangement.

What co-curricular (after school) activities are offered at the Primary Campus?

There are about 100 activities available each term, covering sports, arts, academic, languages and other interest areas.

Does the school take students on enrichment and residential trips?

Yes. Field trips within KL and visits to places such as museums and natural areas enrich the curriculum at every level. An information letter together with a permission form is sent home to parents well in advance of the departure date. No student is allowed on any excursion unless a parent returns a signed permission form to the school. Residential field trips take place in Years 4, 5 and 6.

Is there a Gifted & Talented programme?

All children are carefully monitored to ensure that they are suitably challenged. Our curriculum has been designed to extend higher order thinking and child-led learning. This particularly suits more-able learners. Enrichment activities take place throughout the curriculum and the extra curricular activities that we provide.

Is there a buddy system?

On their first day, all new students are assigned a buddy, who will help them settle in and with making friends with their new classmates. Buddies are existing students who have volunteered to help new children settle into the school.

As part of our welcome process, it is customary at The Alice Smith School for new parents to be contacted by members of the PTA welcoming committee and the parent Class Rep for your child’s new class. 

Can my child buy snacks, drinks and lunch at school?

Students at the primary campus cannot purchase their own food. Instead, parents have a choice of ordering a daily school meal or sending in a packed lunchbox from home. The price of a school meal is RM16 a day and includes a snack and hot lunch. Orders are made in advance through the KLASS Online Payment System (KLASS o.p.s.) A link to KLASS o.p.s. is also available in the school's parent portal.

Who do we contact at school if we have questions?

Generally, initial contact should be with the child’s class teacher and can be via e-mail or through the child’s diary. Year Leaders oversee the pastoral education for all students in a year group and would normally be the next person to contact.

Are the children well behaved?

Expectations for behaviour at The Alice Smith School are high. We work hard at creating a positive and inclusive learning environment in which children feel at ease with themselves and their peers. Bullying (physical or verbal) and racism or any kind of discrimination are totally unacceptable and are not tolerated. We believe in reinforcing and rewarding good behaviour as defined by our ‘Golden Rules’. The school Rewards and Sanctions programme is designed to support the way in which all members of the school live and work together in an environment where everyone feels happy, safe and secure.

How are children rewarded for good work or good behaviour?

Children are rewarded for following the Golden Rules through Golden Time (Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1) and Star Time (Key Stage 2). These take place on Friday afternoons and involve free choice from a selection of activities.

How do you discipline children who have misbehaved?

Children who have broken the golden rules miss some golden/ star time.

Minor infringements of the rules will be dealt with in school but for more serious issues, parents will be contacted so that we can work together to resolve any problems.

Does the school offer learning support and facilities for children with special needs?

Whilst our school is academically non-selective, we do offer British-based schooling to students who can intellectually access the English National Curriculum. Applications for students who require special assistance are considered on a case by case basis. Our team of Learning Support Specialists and Assistants provide assistance and guidance to students who find particular aspects of the curriculum challenging.