|
|
PromoImg
FAQs
Find Out More
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
Admissions
Find Out More
HdImage
Secondary FAQs

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer

Are there currently places available for students of secondary school age at the Alice Smith School?

There is a strong demand for places at the Alice Smith School and waiting lists can exist for some year groups. There are usually some places available in Years 7 to 10 and in Year 12 for the start of each school year in September. Places may also become available in January. January places may particularly suit Malaysian families who wish their child to complete local school examinations in November before joining our school for their continuing education. For current information on the availability of places, please contact the Admissions team at the Secondary Campus or complete a Register your Interest form.

Do current Primary Campus students at the Jalan Bellamy Campus wishing to enter the Secondary School at Equine Park need to submit a new application?

No. A new application is not required to enter Year 7 for students currently in Year 6. However, families should indicate their intention to take up a Year 7 place at the Secondary Campus as early as possible in Year 6.

Are there places available in the Sixth Form for new students?

Applications from new students for entry to Year 12 in the Sixth Form are encouraged. There may be places available and applications should be made as early as possible. To make an application, parents must submit a completed application form (123 KB).

How many students are there in a year group?

In Years 7 to 11 there are five tutor groups and up to 120 students in each year group. There are approximately 160 students in Years 12 and 13 in the Sixth Form.

Can my child buy snacks, drinks and lunch at school?

Students can purchase snacks, drinks and lunch from the school canteen. Food does not need to be pre-ordered. Those not purchasing their lunch must bring a packed lunch.

There are no longer SATs at the end of Year 9. How do you monitor your standards of achievement at the end of Year 9?

Throughout the school, an ambitious but realistic academic target setting process ensures that every student is appropriately challenged to achieve to their academic potential. We participate in regular testing and assessment, as do thousands of other UK and international schools, through the Center for Educational Monitoring (CEM) of Durham university in the UK. This assists us to set challenging learning targets for our students and monitor, track and support their learning.

In Year 9, students take an on-line computer adaptive assessment called INSIGHT, which provides us with levels of achievement in English Reading, Mathematics and Science that we compare and use with teacher assessments to monitor each student’s progress. Typically the expected level of achievement by Year 9 for students is level 6 or better. For example, in June 2015 our students’ results were:

Mathematics: 76% of students achieved level 7 or above.

Science: 55% of students achieved level 7 or above.

A value added measure of performance (i.e. what a student of that ability typically achieves compared to their achievement at Alice Smith), shows a difference of +0.8 to +1 level above typical achievement.

Who do we contact at school if we have questions?

Within our pastoral system, each student has a tutor teacher. The tutor sees the students in their tutor group each morning before classes commence and helps to oversee the personal well-being of the student at school. You can contact the school office to make an appointment to talk to the tutor at any time during the year.

The Key Stage Leaders and Assistant Key Stage Leaders oversee the pastoral education for all students in a year group and key stage. This includes the Personal, Social and Health Education programme, which is an important element of the curriculum.

If you have a particular question about an academic subject, parents are welcome to contact the subject teacher directly by email or arrange a meeting through the school office.

How is my child’s academic and personal progress at school reported to me?

Academic progress reports are issued approximately every 6 weeks (six times each year for Years 7 – 9, 10 and 12; 4 times each year to Year 11 and 13), with a full detailed written academic report once each year. The progress reports use a traffic lighting system to clearly show a student’s progress against challenging short-term and longer-term academic targets in each subject.

The written report includes feedback to parents on each child’s personal development at school in addition to their academic achievement and progress. Parent-teacher-student conferences are offered once each year and parents can meet with class teachers through the school year by arrangement with the school office.

Students completing I/GCSE and GCE AS/A2 external examinations receive statements and/or certificates of their achievement grades from these examination authorities.

Which universities do students go on to?

Over the last four years 95% of Alice Smith School students have gone onto Higher Education. The UK is still the most popular destination, followed by Australia, although there is an increasing number each year applying to high quality regional and North American universities. In 2014 85% of students received their first choice of university. Many Alice Smith students who apply to the UK secure places at Russell Group universities (24 highest ranked universities in the UK), with LSE, UCL, Imperial and Kings featuring in London placements. Top 100 universities world-wide feature in almost all applications and placements.

Which degree courses do students go on to study at university?

They study a wide variety of degree courses which reflects the diverse range of subjects available at A level and the diversity of interests amongst students. Most popular are Engineering, Business/Economics and Medicine/Dentistry.

How many students go to Oxbridge each year?

From the last three graduating classes, thirteen students accepted places to study at Oxbridge - two in 2014 (four offered places); seven in 2013 and four in 2012 (five were offered places)

The courses read by students have included Medicine, Natural Sciences, Engineering and History.

How do Alice Smith School’s GCE A Level grades compare with other British International schools?

Extremely well. KLASS students perform at very high levels when compared with their peers internationally. In the last three years, the rolling average number of A*/B grades at GCE A level has been 77%, with 78% A*/B and 48% A*/A grades in June 2015. This compares very favourably with, or better than, the best British international schools offering GCE A levels regionally and around the world, and with independent schools in the UK. Comparative data from CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring at Durham University) shows that our A Level value-added data places the quality of our teaching and learning in the top tier of schools worldwide who participate in this achievement related evaluation process.

How do scores in the GCE A Level compare to grades in other pre-university courses such as the IB Diploma and AP courses in the US?

GCE A Level subject courses are highly regarded as having great depth of study and as being rigorous and challenging. As individual courses, the highest GCE A level subject grade of A* has a UCAS tariff point score of 140 compared with the highest IB Diploma HL course grade of 7 which has a score of 130. A GCE A level grade of A is worth 120 UCAS tariff points, with a B grade worth 100 points and so on.

Does the school offer learning support and facilities for children with special needs?

Whilst our school is academically non-selective, we do offer British-based schooling to students who can intellectually access the English National Curriculum. Applications for students who require special assistance are considered on a case by case basis. Our team of Learning Support Specialists and Assistants provide assistance, generally in small groups, to students who find particular aspects of the curriculum challenging.