|
|
PromoImg
News
Find Out More
PromoImg
History
Find Out More
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Council of Governors

The Council of Governors has a strategic and financial responsibility for the long term interests and overall wellbeing of the Alice Smith School.

Its three main roles are to determine policy and long term strategy, to exercise fiduciary duties in terms of financial responsibility and to appoint and evaluate the Head of School.

The Council of Governors consists of 15 to 18 members, comprising the Trustee Governors, the Chair of the Parent Teacher Association and Parent Governors.

The seven trustee governors are nominated by the leaders of two local Churches, four expatriate societies and the Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce. The Trustee Members are a valuable means of ensuring long term strategic planning and continuity amongst Council members, in what is common in international schools, a very transient parent body.

These short biographies of each governor start with the Chair and Vice-Chair and then list each governor from the date of joining the Council of Governors. Best practice in international schools is for the vast majority of governors to serve between four and eight years, with a few serving for longer in order to retain institutional knowledge, alumni and community links.

Marama Schnitker (New Zealand)

Marama was elected as the new Chair of the Council in June 2017, following the retirement of Charles Lim. Marama was Vice-Chair since 25 February 2015 and has been a parent governor since 2012. She is the Chair of the Governance Subcommittee. She was admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales Roll of Solicitors and worked as a corporate finance lawyer in Australia and South Africa. She has a law degree and an economics degree from the University of New South Wales, Australia.

Campbell Tupling (Canadian)

Campbell was elected to the Council in 2015 with a desire to contribute to maintaining the school’s excellence and elected as Vice-Chair in June 2017. A graduate of the University of Western Ontario, he worked in expat positions in Finance for over 30 years and has started a JV in motorsports with Caterham Cars. His two boys are currently at the Secondary Campus, having been at Alice Smith since 2008.

Anthony Beadsworth (British)

Tony is a semi-retired academic, both as a teacher and administrator. He first came to Malaysia in 1998 and taught Mathematics and Further Mathematics in a residential 6th Form College till 2012.  Prior to arriving in Malaysia, he was a Tutor Counsellor for the UK’s Open University.

After retiring from full time teaching, he has then established an educational consultancy in Kuala Lumpur. In addition to teaching, he has much experience preparing Malaysian students for entry into UK Universities. He now concentrates on things educational that interest him and that he enjoys doing.

Grant Ferguson (British)

Grant was elected as a parent governor in 2013, having previously served on the Council’s ad hoc Subcommittee on Governance as a parent representative. He is currently the Chair of the Finance Subcommittee. He has  lived and worked in Asia for over 20 years holding senior executive and financial management positions. He is currently an independent advisor to and non-executive director of a number of organisations across Asia. He is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland and a corporate governance specialist.

Irene Lim (Malaysian)

Irene has been a trustee governor for St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church since 1992. She is with CIMB Investment Bank. She is trained and qualified as a Chartered Accountant with KPMG in London and is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales. She co-founded the Children’s Christian Fellowship in 1992 and served as coordinator until 2009.

Joyce Simson (Malaysian)

Joyce is a trustee governor representing St. Mary’s Cathedral, Kuala Lumpur. She is a Certified Executive Coach with experience in professional training and development coupled with experience as an instructional designer and curriculum developer. She graduated with a business degree from the University Malaya as well as hold an MBA from Charles Stuart University, Australia. She has professional qualifications from the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, UK and Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK.

Karen Welsh (Australian)

Karen was appointed as the MANZA trustee governor in 2016, and has a son in the senior school at Alice Smith. Her background is in university management, including experience in student recruitment and admissions, and government higher education policy.  She holds a Bachelor of Arts (Journalism and History) and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Queensland, and a Master of Tertiary Education Management from the University of Melbourne.

Charles Lim Chao Li (Malaysian)

Charles was elected as a parent governor in 2012 and elected the Vice-Chair in 2014, and Chair in 2015. Following his retirement as the Chair in June 2017, Charles will continue to contribute to the Association and the School as an ordinary governor. He is an alumnus of the Alice Smith School. He graduated with degrees from the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Wharton School.

He was a co-founder of the recruitment firm Jobstreet, and is currently working in the family business which is involved in hospitality and property. He sits on the board of JcbNext Berhad and Public Investment Bank Berhad, and is a member of the Executive Board for Asia of the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.  

Chen Li-Kai (Malaysian)

Li-Kai was elected as a parent governor at the 66th AGM. He is currently Chair of the Education Subcommittee. His background is in finance and banking. He graduated with an MSc from the University of Reading and an MBA from Harvard Business School. He is currently a partner at a management consulting firm McKinsey and Company. One of his current roles at McKinsey is as the Head of the Education Sector Practice for Asia. The education practice conducts research into education systems worldwide, and they work with public sector institutions, foundations and private organisations to achieve significant and rapid improvements in education system outcomes and student learning through diagnostics, strategy and implementation. He hopes that he could share helpful perspectives, and to contribute in some way to the Council of Governors and to the Alice Smith School to the best of his ability. 

Eoin Daly (Irish)

Eoin was elected as a parent governor in 2012. He is currently the Chair of the Head of School Evaluation Subcommittee. He is the Managing Partner of McKinsey and Company's Malaysia office and he also leads the government practice in Southeast Asia. In 2002 he spent a year on secondment to the UK Government's Prime Minister's Delivery Unit. He advises clients from the private and public sectors on strategy and transformational change. He studied at University College Dublin and ESCP in Paris and graduated with Bachelor of Commerce and Master of Business Studies degrees.

Fiona Howells (British)

Fiona was elected as a parent governor in 2013.  She graduated from the University of Bristol and completed Teacher Training at the University of Sheffield. In addition to the Council of Governors, she has another volunteer role as the Malaysia Division Commissioner for the British Girl Guides. She is currently a part-time ESL teacher at Oxburgh Academy Sdn Bhd.

Maura Quigley (Irish)

Maura is a trustee governor representing St Patrick's Society of Selangor. She and her family have been in Kuala Lumpur for ten years and for all of that time they have been part of the Alice Smith community.  They have seen two of their  children successfully through their education and off to university while the third one is still at Alice Smith in the Secondary Campus. Professionally she is a member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists specialising in Sports Medicine and a member of the Health Professionals Council of the UK.

Paul Rennie (British)

Paul was appointed as a parent governor in January 2015.  His daughter is in the Primary Campus. He moved to Malaysia from India following his appointment as the Deputy British High Commissioner in August 2014. He joined the Foreign and Commonwealth in 2001 as the first of a new cadre of Diplomatic Service Economists, and has served at Posts in New York (United Nations), Brazil and India – as well as several roles in London. He graduated with an MA in Economics & Politics from Edinburgh University and an MSC in Economics from York University. He enjoys playing tennis, golf and occasionally archery and he also enjoys reading as many history and politics books as his spare time will allow.

Peter Lee (British)

Peter was elected as a parent governor in 2013. He is currently the Chair of the Development Subcommittee. Having worked in the oil and gas industry for 20 years, he is currently the Malaysian Division Manager for a Norwegian geophysical company. He holds a degree in Geophysical Sciences from the University of Southampton.

Ricki Fritz (Australian)

Ricki is a parent governor since July 2014. He is a parent of three children in the Alice Smith School, his eldest having been at Alice Smith for 10 years, starting from Pre-School. He has been involved with the Masterplan Subcommittee since its' inception in 2013 and is the Chair of the subcommittee now. He holds an Architectural Degree from Curtin University and his professional background is related to architecture and construction for small to medium sized projects. He is a member of PAM and contribute to the Professional Practice Committee.

Zalina Shamsudin (Malaysian)

Zalina was elected as the parent governor at the 65th AGM of the School. She and her family have been at Alice Smith for over 3 years now and have truly enjoyed their experience at Alice Smith. With two children in secondary and grappling with all the issues of being a parent in this new age of education, she would very much like to learn more on how it all works and channel her skills towards the development and long term sustainability of such a sound institution. She brings to the Council a finance background with strategic long term planning experience and a varied experience of having lived on over 6 countries in the last 18 years.

Alexandra Williams (British)

Alex has taken an active part in PTA activities since moving to KL from the UK a few years ago and has been Chair of the PTA since July 2015. Her eldest child is currently at the Secondary Campus and the other two children are at the Primary Campus. She is a graduate of the University of Cambridge and has previously worked in Professional Services Marketing in the UK.