|
|
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
  • HdImage
Inspiring Alumni

Every alumni of the Alice Smith School each make their own unique contribution to the school’s history and reputation, taking fond memories and lifelong friendships with them.

In a number of cases we have welcomed three generations of students from the same family, which alone is testament to the school’s continuing success story and consistent character. We are honoured to have educated a number of members of the Malaysian Royal Family and proud to remain the school of choice for many members of the government and international diplomats.

KLASSICs live all over the world working in a multitude of professions, industries and public service organisations. We are proud to highlight the following ex-students of the Alice Smith School.

1960s - 1970s 

Tan Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes CBE

Tan Sri Dr. Tony Fernandes, a student at the Alice Smith School from 1970 to 1977 is a Malaysian entrepreneur. He is the founder of Tune Air Sdn. Bhd., who introduced the first budget no-frills airline, AirAsia, to Malaysians with the tagline "Now everyone can fly".

Dato’ Seri Mohd Nazir Razak

Dato' Seri Mohd Nazir bin Tun Abdul Razak is Chairman in one of the largest financial services providers in Malaysia. He attended St. John's Institution and then Alice Smith School in early 1970s and continued his secondary education in the United Kingdom from age 13.

Martin Gilbert

Martin Gilbert, class of 1965 from the Alice Smith School, is co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of Aberdeen Asset Management,now one of the world’s leading independent asset managers through a combination of organic growth and acquisition.

Mark Lankester

Mark Lankester, attended the Alice Smith School in the late 1960s at the Alice Smith School. He served as CEO of the Tune Hotels Group since 2007.

Ross Ariffin

Ross Ariffin is a professional pianist, composer and music producer. He has been in the Music industry for over 30 years winning four Malaysian Music Awards.

Rory and Tony Underwood

Rory and Tony Underwood, former England rugby internationals attended the Alice Smith School from the late 1960s until the early 70s. Their mother is Malaysian and the boys spent their childhood in Kuala Lumpur when their father was based here as an engineer.

1980s - 1990s 

Alex and Phillipa Yoong

Alex Yoong is a former Formula 1 race car driver and his sister, Phillipa is a champion water-skier. Both were students at the Alice Smith School in the 1980s.

Ryan Grant

Ryan Grant, the Scottish Rugby Union player attended Alice Smith in the 1990s. He made his Scotland debut in 2012 against Australia. He plays prop for the Glasgow Warriors and was a member of the triumphant British Lions squad over Australia in 2013.

2000s - Recent

Niamh Walsh

Born in Australia, Niamh lived in Holland, South Africa and the Middle East before settling in Malaysia. She later moved to London.She was the head girl during her time at Alice Smith. She graduated from LAMDA drama school in 2013 and appeared in many theatre productions before making her television debut as a cast in Casualty, Jekyll & Hyde and Holby City. Her latest appearance was the leading role in Sky  television drama called Jamestown. 

William Kucia

William attended Alice Smith School from 2002 to 2011 before graduating from Cardiff University in 2014.  Former head of the Sungai Buloh Football Academy, he has been coaching since his school days. William is an inspiring leader and keen to help children achieve their very best. He is currently the founder and director of the AirAsia KL junior league which provides regular football matches to over 600 kids around Klang Valley.

Francis Therese Calalang

Francis is originally from the Philippines with experience living in multiple Asian countries including Malaysia. She attended Alice Smith from 2011 to 2015. She was a speaker for TEDx in June 2016.  Now, she is working with Slush Tokyo, one of Japan's biggest startup and tech events originating from Finland, as their Marketing Lead with support from the Finland team. 

Jon Liddell

Jon was a student at Alice Smith from the age of 5 until 16. After completing his GCSEs, he left Alice Smith and pursued a career in Sound Engineering. He’s currently focusing on his career as an artist - a singer, songwriter and producer based in Kuala Lumpur. Although known for his covers on YouTube, Jon also writes and records his own original music, including an early independent track, "Here For You" which was on rotation on urban radio station, Capital FM.

Benjamin Proud

Ben grew up in Kuala Lumpur and attended Alice Smith from Kindergarten until Year 12, when he left to pursue his swimming career further. He’s an English competitive swimmer who represented Great Britain in the FINA world championships and European championships, and England in the Commonwealth Games. Ben holds two British national records, and is also the Commonwealth champion in the 50m butterfly and 50m freestyle events. He was also the fastest 18-year-old in the world who competed in the 50m butterfly and is currently training for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

Ellesse Tzinberg

Ellesse graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies from the prestigious University of San Diego, USA. During her stay in the States, she has been a part-time fashion model and has walked for designers in the LA Fashion Week. She has also done music videos for the likes of Travis McCoy, Taio Cruz and Sean Paul. Not only does she have a passion for horse riding, in her time at Alice Smith, Ellesse also contributed to the first World Book in 2008, a compilation of short stories with her piece “Designer Babies for a Designer World”.

Rikigoro Shinozuka

After completing his GCSE at Alice Smith, Riki opted to devote his attention to strengthening his foundation for the multi-discipline endurance event. Riki said he is satisfied with his steady progress in clocking up between 18 and 22 hours a week in training. Before taking up triathlon in 2009, Riki started swimming with the club-based programme under the care of Peh Gin Hai. Riki clinched Silver in the men’s Triathlon event at the 2015 SEA Games, finishing the race in a respectable time of 2:5:35s.

Sharmini Ratnasingham

Sharmini put on a flawless display with her horse Arcado L, to win the 2015 SEA Games Equestrian Show Jumping gold. She also competed in the team event, where Malaysia earned a silver medal, without incurring a penalty. She ended the competition with a perfect record!

Daniel Woodroof

Daniel Woodroof is not a new name to those in the car racing community. He has raced karts for some time and has now moved onto single-seater racing. Apart from racing, Daniel is also an excellent ambassador for promoting worthy causes. When a student at Alice Smith from 2000-2014, Daniel was a straight ‘A’ student.